Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you know ASL?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM
  • 18 Replies

I took 4 years of ASL in high school as a foreign language credit. But now that I am an adult I forget most of what I learned.

My son is deaf, he just turned 1 year old and has a BAHA bone conduction hearing aid. We would like him to learn ASL as well as learn to speak if he is able, which we believe he will.

If you know ASL as an adult, did you learn at a local college or were there online classes, or some other way?  

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I know some.I had a couple of friends who were deaf back in high school

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM
I don't know ASL but I do know that there are free programs if you apply, My son has a speech delay but with speech therapy he improved so much we were no longer eligible.

Signing time for babies makes really good videos in the mean time.

Do you have a social worker that you work with they could help you find a program.

Good luck
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I don't remember much now but I did learn it as an adult when working with children with ASD.  However I didn't learn it all, just basics for classroom communication.

I know some community colleges offer course.  I'd also contact your nearest Child Find Center.  I know ours does classes in ASL for parents and siblings of children who are deaf.  

Also I think its asl.com that has videos etc. of words etc. you can use to practice.

alyssas-mommy
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Both of my parents are deaf so i have known it my entire life.
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Yes, we have many resources but those that we have asked have directed us to the local school for the Deaf and its about $100 for each of us for 9 weeks. I haven't found any free classes yet. 

Quoting DACIA79: I don't know ASL but I do know that there are free programs if you apply, My son has a speech delay but with speech therapy he improved so much we were no longer eligible. Signing time for babies makes really good videos in the mean time. Do you have a social worker that you work with they could help you find a program. Good luck

4everMuslim
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Yes, we have many resources but those that we have asked have directed us to the local school for the Deaf and its about $100 for each of us for 9 weeks. I haven't found any free classes yet. 

Quoting DACIA79: I don't know ASL but I do know that there are free programs if you apply, My son has a speech delay but with speech therapy he improved so much we were no longer eligible. Signing time for babies makes really good videos in the mean time. Do you have a social worker that you work with they could help you find a program. Good luck

I was put in the classes free of charge and against my parents wishes in kindergarten and 1st grade. I was not deaf nor did I have a speeech problem but I was very shy and when i would speak I wouldn't speak in English. After my parents fought to get me out of those classes for a year and a half they finally just took me out of the school and started putting me in private schools.

I do know they were free (as I was forced) and they were through the public school system but that was back in 1976. I also know there was a social worker of some kind because she followed up and came to the house one day and got the door shut on her face.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM
What state are you in. We live in KCMO.

Maybe depending on your income you could go to community college on a pell grant to help pay your tuition and major in ASL

Good luck.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting DACIA79: I don't know ASL but I do know that there are free programs if you apply, My son has a speech delay but with speech therapy he improved so much we were no longer eligible.

Signing time for babies makes really good videos in the mean time.

Do you have a social worker that you work with they could help you find a program.

Good luck

WahmSahm
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I know some sign language, but not the ASL format.  I do signed English because I've never had formal training.  I started learning from a book my parents bought me when I was 10 and practiced with deaf friends that I saw only about one week out of the year.  I've never been fluent but dream of going back to school and becoming an interpreter someday!

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:05 PM
My best friend is deaf, so yes :) I grew up with it, so even if I get rusty, it's like riding a bike for me when I come in contact with my deaf friends :) As soon as I start doing it, I get back into the groove.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Just get a book or watch on YouTube.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)