Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you be okay with a used engagement ring?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
  • 368 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister called me yesterday excited that she and her boyfriend of 2yrs are finally engaged. Today she came over to show me the ring and she said it was originally given to his ex-girlfriend when he'd proposed to her and she'd worn it 2mos before giving it back to him when she dumped him. She found that out from the ex when she ran into her this morning on her way to work and I get why it's upsetting to her but I also think she should focus on the man and the meaning behind the ring more than on the ring itself.

What do you think? Would you be okay with a used engagement ring, either that was worn by a previous girlfriend or came from a pawn shop or something?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM

No way. 

fostermommy1
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
33 moms liked this

Pawn shop, maybe...depending on the ring and the financial state of the man.  used by an ex...not so much.  UNLESS...he took the time to have the stone reset, then I think it could be okay.  Just giving her the old ring, while it's nice that he wants to marry her, not very thoughtful.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM
5 moms liked this

Pawn shop I would not care to much about but a previous ex of the man I am going to marry, no way. That is just too weird.

At the end of the day the ring does not matter that much but the relationship you have with that person but that would be too uncomfortable regardless.

xtwistedxlovex
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:16 PM
55 moms liked this
The ring is supposed to represent your eternal commitment to each other. No, I would not want the symbol of a broken promise. Get me one from a 25 cent machine for all I care, but NOT one from you and your ex's failed relationship.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM
6 moms liked this
I couldnt do a ring that was for an ex. He picked that ring with his ex in mind jot his current. Sounds cheap unthoughtful
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Used by an ex? NO.

I did have one from a pawn shop once. It did not matter to me. The relationship trumped. 

However it did not work out, I held it for a very long time then returned it to the same pawn shop. They either resold it or melted it down. Case closed!  :)

-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM
5 moms liked this

Worn by an ex.  Hell no.

from a pawn shop...meh not a big deal.  I don't understand why he couldn't pawn the old one and buy a new one.  Lazy and thoughtless.  Good luck with that marriage.  Lol

offrdngal
by Terri on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM
4 moms liked this
I wouldn't have a problem with a ring bought at a pawn shop. I would not accept an engagement ring that was originally given to the ex. I would give it back to him, if I found out about it, after the fact.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with others, I wouldn't want to have a ring that he gave to his ex (unless it was his mother's or grandmothers or something). It sounds like he didn't want to have to buy a new one...I think if it was from a pawn shop or something it'd be ok, my ex husband got my ring for $40 at walmart and I didn't care, it was nice, granted it didn't work out but still. I don't care cost of ring but reusing one would make me feel crappy and I'd always be thinking about the ex then...

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
If she is happy, that's all that matters
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)