Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bedtimes?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: What is appropriate bedtime for a 3 year old?

Options:

7pm

8pm

9pm

10pm or later

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

I am trying to get some information to give to my neice. She is a single mother of three kids ages 3 to 4 months. Her oldest is a girl who just turned 3. She does not put her down at night until midnight or sometimes after. her 18mo old son we had gotten on a routine of going to bed about 730 but she now is keeping him up til 10 or later. Of course the 4 mo old is pretty much on his own schedule. We can't seem to get the mother to understand that she needs to get them down at a regular bedtime and a lot earlier in the evening. She lets her kids sleep up until 11 or noon most days. The 3 year old has not taken naps in 2 years, needless to say we deal with an extremely cranky child every day because of this. What I need to know is, is there any harm by her allowing her children these extremely late bedtimes and late sleep times?

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Do you baby sit during the day? I'm just wondering why you are trying to force a bedtime on someone else's kids.

When I was a single mom and worked full time, I would keep my daughter up late just to be able to spend time with her. We still had to get up early but she would take long morning naps at the sitters.
Chirinos
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd say an appropriate bedtime for a 3 year old is anywhere between 7-8 my boys are 9 & 11 and they go to bed at 8:30. She should not be keeping those kids up till midnight what's she going to do when they start school? Now there's another challenge.
catb1966
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Mckinneymom, we all live in the house together. Most of the taking care of the kids falls on me and the grandmother. We are the ones taking care of them most of the time. The mother does very little with them, but when it comes to going to bed at night. The kids are cranky all the time, especially the 3 year old who does not take naps. Their bedtime is never the same, their waking up time is never the same.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

My 6 year old still has a 8pm bedtime. But when the time changes in the fall she goes to bed at 7pm, otherwise she is a whiny mess.

newwifenmom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Matthew will be 3 in May and he hasn't napped in months so I changed his bedtime from 8 to 9. So now he's down at 9p and up at 9a.
3Rasberries
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree. My kids ages 8, 7, and  3 have had the same bed time of 7:30. Kids need structure and sufficient sleep to achieve their best. Our wake up time is 6 a.m. I think bedtimes need to fit the wake up times. 

Quoting Chirinos: I'd say an appropriate bedtime for a 3 year old is anywhere between 7-8 my boys are 9 & 11 and they go to bed at 8:30. She should not be keeping those kids up till midnight what's she going to do when they start school? Now there's another challenge.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM
If you are takin care of them all the time, then why not put them to bed if it bugs you?

Quoting catb1966:

Mckinneymom, we all live in the house together. Most of the taking care of the kids falls on me and the grandmother. We are the ones taking care of them most of the time. The mother does very little with them, but when it comes to going to bed at night. The kids are cranky all the time, especially the 3 year old who does not take naps. Their bedtime is never the same, their waking up time is never the same.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I wouldn't dare tell a mother what to do with her own children.  That being said...My 8 year old goes to bed 7.30-8.  15 month old 7.30 he gets nursed and rocked to sleep. He is usually in his bed around 8 pm.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Oh my oldest stop taking naps around 20 months.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

catb1966
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Just so everyone understands, we are not trying to tell her what to do, we are trying to teach her to parent her children. She is a little mentally handicapped and has some emotional issues. She does not understand that safety is an issue with kids. We are trying to get her to understand how important routine is for the kids. She gets frustrated extremely easily and we are trying to show her how things can work easier and keep her frustration level down. We are also trying to get her to understand how important sleep is to the kids, they tend to get extremely cranky during the day, most of the time because they are too tired. It has been rough for everyone in the house and we are just trying to teach her so that thing are easier for her to handle and deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN