Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to Stop Interruptions

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids have a bad habit of interrupting each other and us.  They are 6, 8, and 10.  So, how did you deal with interrupting kids?  Any great ideas for changing this behavior?

(NOTE:  This is as much my kids interrupting each other than them interrupting me. )

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Ignore them and after tell them it is rude. Do not give them anything they want or ask for after.

Unless it is an emergency, they can say excuse me.
hernandez122902
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM

This is what we did mine are 5-6 & 12. They know if it's not important do not interrupt a conversation that somebody's having.

Quoting a_and_j_momma: Ignore them and after tell them it is rude. Do not give them anything they want or ask for after. Unless it is an emergency, they can say excuse me.

mckinneymom918
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I ignore. If they continue to say "mama", I look them straight in the eye and say "I am talking". They always recognize and say, "oh, sorry".

Here's the thing tho. When kids are excited about something they need to tell their mom, all manners go out the window. No matter how much you "train" them to do otherwise.
Scribbleprints
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Thanks everyone.  It's as much a problem of them interrupting each other than interrupting me.  One of my children will be telling me something and another will just start talking.

Granted, my oldest can wax long, but still, it's something I want to nip.  Ignoring it is a great idea when I'm talking, but when their siblings are talking and they get interrupted it leads to fights.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  

csmcgr
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM

After the first interruption tell them you are busy and it is rude to interrupt. Then ignore completely. They will move on. It will be hard at first but better for them to figure out now

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:08 AM

I read this idea somewhere & we're doing it now... If you're speaking to anyone, adult or kid, and someone wants to interrupt, they come and put their hand on your arm or shoulder, without saying a word.  I then finish speaking or let the other person finish and then turn to the person whose hand is on me and ask what they need.  The article suggested laying your hand on theirs to let them know you are aware they need you, but they still wait until it's their turn to speak.  My 5 year old will even do this when I'm reading to them.  :)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Only my 5yo does it. Then when I inform her she's being interuptive she yaps MORE about how she needed to say something and becomes argumentative. Holy cow lol. Pitb.   :)

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Keep talking and then ask why they interrupted after you're done. 
I also make sure I never interupt my daughter when she is talking to someone, or if she is telling me something.

KREX0914
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I have been telling DD since she was 2 "Grown-ups are talking. Sit and wait your turn." She still interrupts a few times a week, but it's much better than it was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)