Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you treat a stomach virus that you have?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • 66 Replies

There is something going around here, and I think I have it. It has been so long since I've been sick that I am not sure what to do.  Ginger ale comes to mind. What do you do for when you are sick?

by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
complextrina
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Ginger ale, but if you're losing fluids then you need to replace electrolytes. Small sips of Gatorade every 15 mins helps a lot. Might take you a few hours to drink a small bottle, but better to tolerate a small amount of fluid than chug it and throw it back up. Usually a stomach virus just has to work its way out.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I can't recall the last time I was "sick." So Idk.

Once in a while I lose my voice and have a little cough. Once, twice a year.

It would depend on  exactly how I felt. Rest and fluids is a good start. What exactly do you feel like?

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Usually last 24 hours. Don't drink or eat anything until 2 hours after throwing up or diarrhea. I wouldn't eat anything, only drink,till no thowing up 8 hours or more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Thank you. I did just send my husband out for more gingerale and gatorade.

Quoting complextrina: Ginger ale, but if you're losing fluids then you need to replace electrolytes. Small sips of Gatorade every 15 mins helps a lot. Might take you a few hours to drink a small bottle, but better to tolerate a small amount of fluid than chug it and throw it back up. Usually a stomach virus just has to work its way out.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Didn't sleep at all last night because of stomach cramps and headache, and all of the running to the bathroom. :(

Quoting AM-BRAT:

It would depend on  exactly how I felt. Rest and fluids is a good start. What exactly do you feel like?

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM
I'm going to urgent care today. I've been vomiting since Tuesday night. Everything. I can't keep anything down and I'm pretty sure I'm getting dehydrated.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Okay.   :(

So more of a diarrhea? If you're up to it, anytime you wanna eat go with the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Tons of fluids and rest otherwise, at least that's what *I* would do.

Quoting Bmat:

Didn't sleep at all last night because of stomach cramps and headache, and all of the running to the bathroom. :(

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

My daughter woke up a 4am to throw up. 
She has only gotten sick once, we have her on the BRAT diet right now.
I think I will have daddy grab some ginger ale on his way home this afternoon.

Hope you feel better soon 

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

OK, will do. I figure that I need to drink something and all I have right now is gingerale, but my husband is going to pick up some beverage with electrolytes. I don't feel like eating anything anyway,  but I am going to try to sip some gingerale until I get something else- gatorade is what I remember.

Quoting atlmom2: Usually last 24 hours. Don't drink or eat anything until 2 hours after throwing up or diarrhea. I wouldn't eat anything, only drink,till no thowing up 8 hours or more.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I can not have soda so i sip water or power aid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)