Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should I feel like a failure???

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM
  • 28 Replies

My daughter (who will be 4 in May) has been going to the dentist since she was 18 months old and has always had perfect exams. I brush her teeth twice a day, floss them weekly and she does not drink soda at all and very rarely has candy or junk food. Yet, this dentist trip was not so pleasant. I received the news that she has 5 cavities and granted they are not that big and the dentist said that she would not have been able to see them without the x-ray it still hit me like a ton a bricks. I almost cried in the exam room. I feel like such a failure to my daughter, should I be feeling this way? Has this happened to anyone else? 

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

i'd go for a second opinion if she hasn't had any, and then all of a sudden she's got five??  

mckinneymom918
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Some kids are just prone to cavities no matter what you do or don't do.

For instance. I've only ever had 1 very small cavity in my whole life (I'm 30) and I was over 18. There was a stretch of several years in college that I only brushed my teeth once a day and ate a ton of junk and drank only pop. My habits are different now, but I'm not sure it would matter- my parents both have great teeth with very few cavities, my brother has only had a few cavities too.
katiebug840204
by Katie on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you are over reacting. Some people just have bad teeth...even if they take care of their teeth. Sometimes brushing Isn't enough. My boys have great teeth...never had any cavities. My daughter however has had cavity after cavity.
momofsixangels
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM

No you are not a failure

Mrseoc
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like a failure. My two year old has several cavities. She's seeing a pediatric dentist next month (we where told not to have her see a dentist until she was 3, then the cavities showed up). I've already been told by our family dentist she will have to be anesthetized to get them filled. I feel like the worst mother ever because of it. My beautiful baby girl has cavities.  

From what ive read my daughter's is from nursing at night. She co sleeps and still nurses at night. This combined with genetics (my husband and i both had several filling before our adult teeth came in.) and the fact that it's a war to get her teeth brushed (tears and everything)... it's no wonder. I feel terrible but once her teeth are fixed i'm going to ask them for a sealant for weak teeth, which is something i had done as a kid.

Good luck with your daughter. Your not a failure, i'm sure she's an otherwise extremely healthy active and beautiful girl.

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM
My younger son's baby teeth had a lot of cavities. He/we brushed his teeth twice a day as well.
His adult teeth are better, I think he MAY have 2 cavities.
A lot of it is genetics and their enamel. (Which is genetics). My brother has a mouthful of cavities, when we were kids, he are less junk food than me and was better about brushing his teeth than I. I only have 2 cavities, I was 28 when they were filled. None before, none since.
Nikkijr
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I truly believe fluoride breaks down our teeth. I would also brush her teeth with hydrogen peroxide. It will help. Your not a failure. It happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
You are not a failure hugs get a second opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melster4010
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Don't feel bad sometimes its genetics. My mom is a freak about her mouth and has trouble all the time.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I would also get a second opinion.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)