Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

daughter with electronic devices while friends are over

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM
  • 23 Replies
My daughter is 9, and lately when she has a friend over all she wants to do is them get on the computer or one on the computer and the other on the iPod listening to music. I tell her to go outside and play or go do some of the other activities in your room.
She refuse to clean her room and thinks she can have a friend over anytime.
I have asked her that when she does have friends over they r not on electronic devices. Is this a bad idea? No, I don't think so cuz u have a friend over its to actually have activity to move around.
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almburr
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
First off don't let her "think" she can have friends over when ever. Make it a rule. You can play board games or play outside.
country33girl
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM
It is a rule. Her friend pushes her way in the door to ask me if she can play n I still say no n I have to walk her back home. Then I find out the mom is not home. (The girl is a yr younger than my daughter. )

Quoting almburr: First off don't let her "think" she can have friends over when ever. Make it a rule. You can play board games or play outside.
almburr
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
So it's the friend who thinks she can play when ever and be on the electronics all the time, not your dd?

You don't have to let the girl in, just tell her to go home.
country33girl
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM
My did thinks there isn't anything else to do when she has friends over. My did thinks that is playing. Even though another friend did that to her when she went to their house and she did not like it. Don't make sense.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I told mine never ever no matter even in HS were they on the computers when friends were over.  No ipod either.  Gotta figure out something to do besides electronics. 

You need to set strict boundries now when she is 9 or she is gonna run you over.  Believe me, I know.  I have 2 girls that are grown now.  Be consistant and talk about rules now and stick to them. 

Tell her she must clean her room or friends are not allowed. 

mamakin616
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM
You need to set rules..and make her follow them..You are in charge and responsible for your daughter and whatever friend she has over while they are in your home..TAKE the electronics / devices away..give them a deck of cards or a board game ..and let them know thats it. Also I would not allow my kids to have friends over their rooms are not clean..If the other child is always left home alone at under 9 years old..call Social Services.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Most states it is legal for kids 9 to be home alone.  The latch key kid rule.  Most states have guidlines and not laws as to ages kids can be left alone. 

Quoting mamakin616: You need to set rules..and make her follow them..You are in charge and responsible for your daughter and whatever friend she has over while they are in your home..TAKE the electronics / devices away..give them a deck of cards or a board game ..and let them know thats it. Also I would not allow my kids to have friends over their rooms are not clean..If the other child is always left home alone at under 9 years old..call Social Services.

mamakin616
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I t may be legal for latch key kids to be home alone..But I am pretty sure it is illegal for them to be left alone and wandering around the neighborhood knocking on doors and pushing there way in to get attention.Any pervert or child molester could grab this kid off the sidewald and NOBODY know whenor where...This is not safe period..
country33girl
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I do not allow my kids to play in front of house. My dd kept trying the other day cuz this friend was across the street and was supposed to be grounded and she wasn't allowed to leave sidewalk. I told my dd there was not any way she was going out of the gate. She started to wine u don't let me have friends. I told her she is suppose to be grounded n u r not playing in streets cuz I didn't want my girl taken. Told her it would be over b4 I could stop it. Had to think of something to do. So I told my kids we were :going for ice cream.

Quoting mamakin616: I t may be legal for latch key kids to be home alone..But I am pretty sure it is illegal for them to be left alone and wandering around the neighborhood knocking on doors and pushing there way in to get attention.Any pervert or child molester could grab this kid off the sidewald and NOBODY know whenor where...This is not safe period..
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Stop asking you are the boss not her!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN