Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Daycare Question?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK so my son has been going to this one daycare since he was 11 months old, he is now 21 months and I moved a few months ago and this current daycare he is at is just SO out of the way and it's just not worth it. However I absolutely LOVE this daycare and he loves it too. I have found a new daycare but I'm worried about the transition. Will it be easy? Has anyone else had to switch daycares?? 

Also, I am in no way shape or form "racist" but, at the new daycare- he will be the minority, being white. Will this affect anything? Has anyone had any problems with their child being the minority, do children even care? I have no problem with it at all. And I know he can't really talk yet but I guess I'm just new to all of this, it's my first child and I just want him to be treated right. :) 

And so nervous about the transition!! 

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Babies have no idea about race relations. Race values or stereotypes come from the culture and are learned. If you model race equality he will learn all races are equal. You cant control what other children have learned about race and what he might pick up from them but hopefully it doesn't come up at a daycare. Hopefully it can be made a non issue if you treat it as such. Any move will be an adjustment but if you and DS love it, if it's out of the way but you think it's worth- may as well keep going there. In the meantime you could look at a few more if you wanted more options. Can never be too thorough with daycare, I think. GL
trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys are spanish black and white and are darker than the rest of all the kids at daycare and the staff. Its never seemed to be a problem. They are 3 and have been attending for 2 yrs now. If your son seems to be happy thats a good sign. I however understand your concern of a more mixed environment. For me I chose this daycare because it was cost effective and very close to my job and I liked the staff ...same 2 women have been running it for 20 years.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM
He should be fine, any transition will be tough.

Spend as much time as you can, there with him- to help him transition. Gl mama. :)
furbabymum
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I moved daycares. My DS transitioned well and he loves his new one. He wasn't a fan of his old one.

As far as being the minority, your kid has no idea. My DS is very much Mexican looking. He's the only non-white grandkid my parents have. There are 10 grandkids btw. Anyway, he has no idea he's different and none of his cousins have ever implied he was either.

Ryansmommy713
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies :) I have nothing against other races, just don't want my son feeling like an outcast, but y'all are right- they only know what you teach them about ethnicity! My son will know everyone is the same on the inside. And I will try to maybe go early on his first day and spend more time there with him! Thanks again!! 

nurse1997
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM

My kid would not be going there !

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

My daughter started at a new daycare in Jan when she was 11 months. I did not have a problem with the transition at all. My daughter loves her new daycare. My old babysitter moved out of town.

Well I am biracial (1/2 black, 1/2 white). So it's opposite for us. In the town I live in there are not a lot of black people. At her current daycare there are two other biracial kids. We are usually always in the minority. Maybe you can put yourself in my shoes speaking from the opposite point of view. Race should not be an issue when choosing daycares in my opinion. It should be the care of the child/children.

newwifenmom
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM
As long as the daycare is quality I would not worry.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Why not?

Quoting nurse1997:

My kid would not be going there !

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautifulMomof1
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Children are blind to race/skin color . . I would be more concerned with the quality of care he would receive, not the race of the other children . .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN