Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kindergardener struggling ~ How to help her? Anyone use ABCmouse?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is in kindergarden. She was in head start last year and a part time pre school before that. However, when I attempted to teach her at home, letters, numbers, colors, etc, she resisted. She loved learning from outsiders like her teachers but refused to pay attention for me. So, now that she is in Kindergarden she is playing catch up. She is finally on target with her letters and writing, numbers, etc. But, her reading is way behind. She should know about 30 sight words according to the teacher but she doesn't. One big issue is we live in a small town where none of the kids go to school on Fridays but Kindergarden is only half a day. So, the teacher has the same standards to teach but less than half the time to do it in as other schools. The state won't fund our school having a full day kindergarden class. I really want my daughter to make it to 1st grade next year but I am not opposed to holding her back if she needs it. Any ideas on helping her? The school has tested her and she isn't learning disabled or slow. She is just playing catch up. She has a strong desire to learn. I want to work with her at home. Anyone use ABCmouse or something similar? ANY suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Get little books with a sentence on a page like baby and toddler board books.  Work with her every night or at least 3 nights a week for like 15 minutes. 

Also, when mine were in Kindergarten mom's volunteered and we had a little book to go through with each kid one on one in the hallway with no distractions.  I will tell you some questions we asked the kids.  First they looked at the cover and we asked what do they think the book is about.  Then we read the book to them pointing to each word.  Then some questions were like how many words are on page 6.  What is the longest word on page 9.  Then we asked them to read the book to us sounding out the words.  We would help if they needed it.  It is early reading comprehension questions if they understand what they read and remembered.   How much phonics has she gotten?  You may want something like hooked on phonics too or little phonics workbooks.  My dd got this one on one time at school at least 2 times a week with parent volunteers.  Sometimes it was math related but mostly reading.  If they couldn't read those simple books by the end of kindergarten they were requested to be held back. 

biomom1437
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

ya.. i use abcmouse with my 2 1/2 yr old.. i love it and she loves it.. the best thing is the things the kids can do on there r short assiments and once they compete something, they get tickets.. and can use the ticket to buy stuff 4 their house, hampster, dog park, of fish tank.. my dd love to play at the zoo.. and barn.. rarely like to actually go to the classroom.. but she still get tickets for stuff she does at the zoo or barn.. it is sooo cool.. there really is no wrong or rite way to learn at abcmouse... just lots of fun.. they have all subjects.. math, reading, coloring, shape, number, puzzles, games.. just to name a few things.. there is much stuff i can't possible list everything.. i would give abcmouse a try.. i think once ur child starts playing she will learn stuff and not know she is learning.. and u can also set up the lessons so that ur dd learn what she needs to in order to catch up.. good luck.. 

bump

huntin_mama
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM
She is in the title 1 program and the reading program so they pull her from class twice a week for extra help.

Quoting atlmom2:

Get little books with a sentence on a page like baby and toddler board books.  Work with her every night or at least 3 nights a week for like 15 minutes. 

Also, when mine were in Kindergarten mom's volunteered and we had a little book to go through with each kid one on one in the hallway with no distractions.  I will tell you some questions we asked the kids.  First they looked at the cover and we asked what do they think the book is about.  Then we read the book to them pointing to each word.  Then some questions were like how many words are on page 6.  What is the longest word on page 9.  Then we asked them to read the book to us sounding out the words.  We would help if they needed it.  It is early reading comprehension questions if they understand what they read and remembered.   How much phonics has she gotten?  You may want something like hooked on phonics too or little phonics workbooks.  My dd got this one on one time at school at least 2 times a week with parent volunteers.  Sometimes it was math related but mostly reading.  If they couldn't read those simple books by the end of kindergarten they were requested to be held back. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Ours was for every child in Kindergarten all year long.  I would continue at home in the evening for homework then. 

Quoting huntin_mama: She is in the title 1 program and the reading program so they pull her from class twice a week for extra help.
Quoting atlmom2:

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
We used starfall.com. :)
kiwilime
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM

One of the best things to do is have her read 10-15 min. every day.  If you don't have a list of the sight words, ask the teacher for one.  You can make flash cards and use them as a game. One way I have played with DD1 is she gets the card if she gets it right and I get it if she doesn't and whoever has the most at the end wins.  Try to make it fun and you can even add in little rewards for incentive to do it.

raczac
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
We use starfall.com then and we still use it they are in first and second grade. It is also free.
sissyboogs
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never formally sat down with my kids and tried to "teach" them anything. 

They've learned all they know from playing. They watch Nick Jr, and they've picked up a lot from that. I'm convinced Nick Jr was a big reason my son caught up with his speech when he was younger. I read to them. As we're playing, I have them count things (or, with my son now since he's in Kindergarten, we work on basic math also). We look for patterns when we're doing things. I point out words in various places (for instance, my 3 year old can now read "stop" because I've pointed it out on stop signs). They also like to play on nickjr.com. They like to play the video games, but they're also educational. And, on youtube, there's several alphabet videos that teach phonics and sight words (One song starts "A is for apple, a-a-apple" so, it teaches the letter, what the letter looks like, what sound the letter makes, and there's a picture of an apple with the word "apple" below it, so it teaches words as well----my kids have both learned to recognize many of the words in the song...and it continues like that through the whole alphabet). 

With the sight words, you can also make flash cards with small rewards (if you get 5 in a row correct, you can have a piece of candy...for example). And, while you're out and about, point out the sight words that she should know. One of my son's sight words is "to", so if we see a sign that says "Welcome to WalMart", I might stop and point it out and say "look! That says "to" ...t-o spells "to". Now it's to the point where my son will point his sight words out to me when he sees them anywhere. 

That turned out a lot longer than what I intended....I guess the point I'm trying to make is that kids absorb information like crazy, and I think they tend to do better when they're learning while playing rather than being taught....they get bored and frustrated if they're just sat down and talked at. 

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I had abc mouse for my 3 yo for a few months. Because she wasn't that great with using a mouse, she got frustrated easily with the games/lessons. It's a neat program, but I'd only sign up if your dd already knows how to use a mouse pretty well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Have her read 10-15 minutes every night. Have her spell and write sight words.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)