Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

about down syndrome

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM
  • 42 Replies

 

Poll

Question: Should I test or not?

Options:

yes, for a piece of mind

yes ! baby might not have it

no,waste of money

no (reason/other)

depends (explain)


Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

I recently posted that yesterday I received blood work back that my baby has very high elevation in the down syndrome category.. It breaks my heart but if he or she does have it_ I am keeping my baby no matter what. So my question is something my dad brought up "if you plan on never aborting or giving up for adoption, what's the point in paying for testing that cost a lot, if you're sure with your decision to keep it.

So my question is should I bother getting espensive genetic testing to verify if baby has it or not? Or should I not bother because I'll find out at birth and love my baby regardless?
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this
You mean an amino? I wouldn't because of the risks. And know the amount of false positives on that test are very high!
saraface5383
by Sara on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I had the same thing happen. Levels were very high, we also had a lot of other problems, I chose an amnio. Had it done (hurt like hell) but it all came back great. Knowing then, I knew I was going to keep him regardless, so there really wasn't a point in doing it but I wanted to know.
He is 2 now, beautiful and perfect!
leeannfarley
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:12 AM
They want me to do that but there is too many risks in my opinion! They have new blood work testing that is proven safer and accurate, but will cost a lot, last blood work with insurance coated 749$

Quoting JasonsMom2007: You mean an amino? I wouldn't because of the risks. And know the amount of false positives on that test are very high!
leeannfarley
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Amino's have so many risks and possibility of premature labor that it scares me. So I'd either get blood testing done or ntn at all.. Unsure

Quoting saraface5383: I had the same thing happen. Levels were very high, we also had a lot of other problems, I chose an amnio. Had it done (hurt like hell) but it all came back great. Knowing then, I knew I was going to keep him regardless, so there really wasn't a point in doing it but I wanted to know.
He is 2 now, beautiful and perfect!
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:53 AM

I had a false positive so they did the more accurate ultrasounds rather than more blood or amnio.  This was 8 years ago so things probably have changed.

saraface5383
by Sara on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this
If you know that you will keep this baby regardless of the outcome, what's the point?

Quoting leeannfarley: Amino's have so many risks and possibility of premature labor that it scares me. So I'd either get blood testing done or ntn at all.. Unsure

Quoting saraface5383: I had the same thing happen. Levels were very high, we also had a lot of other problems, I chose an amnio. Had it done (hurt like hell) but it all came back great. Knowing then, I knew I was going to keep him regardless, so there really wasn't a point in doing it but I wanted to know.
He is 2 now, beautiful and perfect!
Bellarose0212
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I might get a non-invasive test for peace of mind but I wouldn't get an invasive test.

An amnio would be a no for me.

AbbeysMom2013
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
We didn't do any of that. She was mine from the very first moment. If she did have downs then I would love her just the same, and we would love her just the same.
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
No amnio! If the little hole doesn't close you can leak amniotic fluid and you will have to deliver. Request seeing a specialist with better sonogram machine. If baby does now is a perfect time to prepare. You may need a physical therapist lined up for help after baby is here in case of low muscle tone. Also if so join the Raising special needs kids group here on cm. There's some wonderful ladies in there who you can talk to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I wouldn't get the amino
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)