Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

potty training tips or tricks ?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

i read this article on how some mom used to tell her kids to help the pee and poop get into the potty .

what is or was your best way of getting your kids to use the potty ?

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I waited until they were ready.  My first potty trained himself.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
It wasn't hard. They were nearly 3. Put dresses on and nothing else. They also liked pretty underware. If they are ready it doesn't take long for daytime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Rasberries
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

We bought a potty and kept it in the bathroom. No pressure. My kids followed me everywhere including the bathroom. They liked to sit when I sat. When they showed an active interest, diapers were off, panties in place and we just went for it. No pull ups except for the first few weeks only at night. 

oldest was two and a half, middle was a little closer to three, and youngest had just turned two when they were fully potty trained. 

Rosha2484
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, if they're boys you throw a few cheerios or fruit loops in there and tell them to "hit the targets" when they go pee. Also a good idea is to buy either a boy or a girl some underwear with their favorite character on them. Then you tell them that the new underwear is for good little boys or girls that learn to go potty. That'll give them some incentive to want to learn. 

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Wait until they are ready,

Elimination communication trains the parents, not the kids.
alleyrat214
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM

my dd is 2 and she shows interest in the potty ... only when shes wearing a diaper . she started telling me in december when she needed a diaper change and then stopped within a couple weeks . she automatically sits on the potty once shes undressed before getting into the tub (she sits there while it fills up , no problem) but has "gone" in it once . she said uh oh cuz she pooped in it and wasnt trying to "go" . i tried explaining to her that it wasnt an uh oh that and praised her for going on the potty like a big girl .

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I waited until they were fully ready.  Prior to that they would go in when we would go and if they wanted to they they could.  When I could tell they were really ready and wanting to do it and excited to do it and had the communication skills and such then I would pick a week when we didn't have anywhere to go really and we would stay home with them in underwear that they picked out and we would be able to do it all in a week more or less.  We also did rewards. 

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:21 PM
With son, I put cheerios in the toilet for him to 'aim', also put food coloring in potty so when he peed it changed color.

With daughter she wanted pretty panties and I did a Dora potty chart and the food color too (she had some regression bc of a new baby)
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Stay home all day, give them lots of salty snacks and water, buy them a doll that wets and have them "train' the doll, put them in baggy underwear that's easy to get up and down, have them practice running to the potty from different areas of the house, let them empty the little potty into the big one and flush, that's fun for kids, say "bye bye pee pee"! Hang a cellophane strip of suckers over the potty and give them one when they are successful. Teach them how to clean up if they have an accident but don't scold, Rome wasn't built in a day.

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We used real underwear and not pull-ups. DS gets a little piece of sugarless gum for going. Now He tells us when he needs to go and goes by himself. He was 3 in January. With your DD being 2 and saying it was "uh oh" for going in the toilet maybe she's a little too young. You could still encourage it but we had a false alarm thinking he was ready around 2 and ended up waiting until he was totally comfortable with it. Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)