Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Buying a house - ? for those that have bought a house ETA

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 44 Replies

We got pre-approved to buy a house, so we are looking at a couple of houses this afternoon when I get off work. With having 3 kids(2 girls,1 boy), a 3 bedroom house with 2 full baths is a necessity for us.

When you were looking at houses, what kind of things did you look at to help you decide that you wanted your house? What else do I need to add to our list?

Number/size of bedrooms-

Number of bathrooms-

Dining room size-

Living room size-

Kitchen size/sufficient number of cabinets? -

Size of backyard/number of trees -

How far to school -

How far to closest park -

How far to library -

Any outdoor storage/pool-

Size/types of indoor storage(linen/coat closets)-

ETA: Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions! Some of it was things I would have never thought of. None of the 3 we looked at would have worked. The first was really too small, and the shower in the master you had to step up(like 6 inches!). And there wasn't enough space in the laundry area for our front loaders. The other 2 needed way too much work done. The last one, that we both really liked, had had a bunch of remodeling started and not finished. I mean at least a little in every room. That would have been at least another $20-30K we would have had to put in just to make it livable. Oh well, we will find a place eventually. 

by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiwilime
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If the home had been smoked in was a big one for us.  We don't smoke and so that would have meant MAJOR cleaning and replacing all carpeting.  

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I looked for a large open kitchen and living room, storage, number and size of bedrooms and bathrooms, size of closets in rooms, flow of the house, updates needed, schools, neighbors, size and location of family room.

I also paid attention to the vent locations on the floor so I had an idea of how you can rearrange the layout of the room
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
This may seem silly, but I was excited about the number of electrical outlets in each room. It made it easier when arranging furniture. Large closets were also important for me.
trish2tew
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM

BUMP! Any other suggestions?

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
For me it was the neighborhood. Houses can be changed.

When we were buying our house we narrowed it down to two houses. One was a bigger 3 bedroom, 2 full bath house in town. The other was a small 3 bedroom 1bath house on 6 acres with 6 acres next to it. We choose the smaller house because you can change or add on to the house but not the neighborhood/land.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Look at how it's heated.  Electric heat is REALLY expensive.  For us, personally, I will never buy a house that has electric heat and/or and electric stove. Has to be gas.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and also, no matter how big, how good of a deal, etc... do not buy a townhouse.  With 3 kids, it is SOOOOO not worth it.  Single family house.

KatLee42513
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Our biggest thing was the quality of the home (how its built). My parents bought and sold houses my entire life so I see too many people look at things that don't matter or end up screwing them over. Around here, nv and Ryan (they are builders) rule but they are by no means quality built - we were willing yo take a small place to get a well quality home.

First piece of advice would be to look at who the builder is and their reviews - a good quality hone will not only last longer but also has amazing potential
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That would only work for newer homes though.  Where I live, you either are building your own home or you're buying a home that was built at least 30 years ago.  There isn't any mass construction going on.

Quoting KatLee42513: Our biggest thing was the quality of the home (how its built). My parents bought and sold houses my entire life so I see too many people look at things that don't matter or end up screwing them over. Around here, nv and Ryan (they are builders) rule but they are by no means quality built - we were willing yo take a small place to get a well quality home. First piece of advice would be to look at who the builder is and their reviews - a good quality hone will not only last longer but also has amazing potential

KatLee42513
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Good! Older homes are always better built :)

Quoting jackiewal10:

That would only work for newer homes though.  Where I live, you either are building your own home or you're buying a home that was built at least 30 years ago.  There isn't any mass construction going on.

Quoting KatLee42513: Our biggest thing was the quality of the home (how its built). My parents bought and sold houses my entire life so I see too many people look at things that don't matter or end up screwing them over. Around here, nv and Ryan (they are builders) rule but they are by no means quality built - we were willing yo take a small place to get a well quality home.

First piece of advice would be to look at who the builder is and their reviews - a good quality hone will not only last longer but also has amazing potential

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)