Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice for kids bday party

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hello. i am a mom of 4 great kids. Boys 7 & 8, also 11mo b/g twins. i need advice for upcoming May birthdays. The twins turn 1 on May 1 & my oldest turns 9 on the 10. I have family 2 hours away but I dont see them traveling up here two weeks in a row for bdays. Also I am wondering if it is tacky to have bday parties 2 saturdays in a row. (may 1 is on a thursday so we would have the party on saturday to accomedate work schedules)
My oldest has mentioned he would like to have a split party with the twins but we were considering doing his at a water park or a place with a pool which would still be do able with the twins but the thought of having 3 parties plus the mental image of all the possible presents makes me see myself as a greedy gift crazy parent. Am I wrong to look af it this way?
I just want a convenient party like my son wants (he just wants the whole family to come together again).
Should I just do a small intimate party for the twins and a big one for the oldest?
Also if we did combine parties would it be easier to do an "in lieu of gifts please bring/dont bring...." I dont want people to think we expect them to bring 3 gifts!!
And if it were done together what would be the proper ettiquette for the twins "smash cakes" vs candle blowing. Ive thought that we could do those cupcakes for the twins and a sheet cake with candles for the oldest.
Please advise! Im open to any thougbts and suggestions.
thank you!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mynewlife2012
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM
I think if your oldest is ok with a joint party do things that way. I like the cupcake idea for the twins and a big cake for your son. As for the presents I'm not sure. Some family may just bring a present for each child no matter what. If your having it at a pool it renting a space I would not open the gifts that way it's bit a long drawn out process.
deandrae
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Thank you for replying!
Would it be rude not to open the presents infront of everyone? I agree it would be a long process thats why I was considering not having any. We care more about having the family together.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM

1 year olds don't need a big huge party.  Do a small one for them and a larger one for your 9 year old that knows what a party is. 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Is the weather going to be warm enough to rent one of those big blow up water slides ? then you could do it at home and everyone would have a ball.Get and fill a kiddie pool for the little ones.

I like your idea of cupcakes and sheet cake for older birthday boy. Send invites out in all 3 names. No you dont have to open gifts. people do like to see that your child likes the gift though.  If you choose not to please make your oldest write out thank yous. and you send them from the babies.

KairisMama
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I'd combine the party. My brother and I were 2 weeks apart, and we always had one big family bash. It makes sense, for then the family comes out once for a big celebration.

deandrae
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone!
I didnt want to have 2 parties that close together. I know one yr olds dont grasp the whole idea quite yet but the inlaws make a big deal out of any kind of birthday. I like the idea of doing them all at once because Im sure in the next year or two my oldest will loose interest and want to have "cooler" parties with his friends. Plus the twins still have years ahead of them for fun themed parties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)