Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No rock unturned, unemployment help.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

My husband has been unemployed since July. We have been applying to jobs like crazy since then. I have an Assciates in Medical assisting, but I have been out of work for 4 years because I have been taking care of our son. So, even though I do have a degree, no one will accept me on. 

In the last 8 months it has been one disappointment after another. We have tried to get food stamps but the state denies us, hangs up on us, sends us expired paper work, and files us under the wrong names. We had snap for 3 months from sept to nov, that was a huge fight and not we are fighting with them again. We gone to tons of interviews, and I was even told I was told I was over qualified at one. Unemployment ended dec 28th.

We are lucky that our bills are low, I have been doing custom drawings since May of last year and that has been paying the bills, he has been also doing odd jobs, but things are really tight.(etsy doesn't really work for me, but selling on my facebook page does) We have changed our diet around to a high veggie diet and we have actually started a garden which brough our grocery bill down to $100 a month for 3 people. I got a gig to help a local photographer take pictures of weddings every now and then and in May I am going to start teaching painting classes at a local coffee shop. My husband is now attending school online so that he can qualify for some better jobs. We both had interviews last week, but I would like to know if there is anything out there that I am forgetting? I would really like it if we could get some wiggle room. Since my job is really inconstant it can get really stressful. I understand that we are lucky to still be eatting and to have a roof over our head,but this unemployment drag is killing us. We found mechanical turk this weekend and are really excited about it, would anyone know anything that is similar? Also we only have one vehicle so that is also a factor when it comes to us both getting jobs that are at the same time. Granted when I say we have applied everywhere that includes sonic and mcdonalds. 

Sorry long winded I know! Ok so, I am looking for jobs that we haven't thought of, ways to get any kind of money $10 is like $100 to us right now, how to get through the depression and "the how are we ever going to progress" mind frame. Oh...and sorry again, but can some angel tell how to make money from blogging and vlogging and what I need. 

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyChance
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Waiting tables. I know every place in the town I live in is hiring.
Good luck to you.
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Are either of you IT types?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindseyrj7
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM

We can both install new hard drives into computers, I know basic HTML, but I have been taking courses online to learn more. I also started to working on graphic design and I have started using photoshop cs6 to create graphic art.120 credit hours under my belt and he has been a supervisor for pipelines and located utilities in the past. Right now he is going for an account degree. Oh and I have 4 years of administration at a college, but again I haven't worked for 4 years. I have been putting that I sell my drawings on my resume since I have had close to 100 sale in less then a year and have repete customers, but I have never worked in retail before and this is the only time I have had an extended period of customer service. 

sammybear31
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I was recently laid off and I am planning on going back to school. I have a bachelors in Psychology but I cant find any work full time. I did land a part time social work job but my SO is working part time too. We just sort of teamed up and hit the applications online hard. Posting your resume on sites like indeed helps and joining an unemployment agency so you arent the only ones looking you have another net casting for you. I suppose it also depends on the area that you are from but usually persistence and hard looking pay off. good luck.

Lindseyrj7
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Oh and we have applied everywhere twice or more at this point. I even applied to be a ed tech in the school system since I have over the min amount of credit hours. 

Sebbiemama
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I know a couple people who got jobs by writing unsolicited letters to potential employers. It's TOTALLY a long-shot and a bit of a ballsey move that has the potential to rub people wrong if you're not very careful, but you could just start identifying people who are in positions to maybe hire you (even if they don't have open positions posted) or refer you to someone and pitch yourself. Consider it networking.

And speaking of networking, have you turned every stone in that realm too? Look for networking events for various professionals, show up to every single one you can and smile (and try to act nonchalant). You never know who you might meet! I've received 3 different interesting offers in the past just by going to these things and I wasn't even actively looking for work. 

If nothing else is working, would you consider looking for work in a different town? If there aren't enough jobs where you are, maybe you need to go where the jobs are.

And keep your chin up! Something will come along. Good luck. 

kels4022
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Is there something you are disclosing at an interview that makes it seem like you couldn't do the job be very confident when getting an interview explain how.you.know.toy been out of the workforce but explain your strengths and side work ect
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Have you tried using am employment agency? Even temp work could help get you in the door and many companies only use agencies to find employees
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM
You're an MA?

I didn't read past "no one will hire me."

If you're not willing to even try then what can WE do for you.

Go out and get your hustle on too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)