Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Making the switch...What formula do you use?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM
  • 60 Replies
My little one is 8 months old and I have been nursing her. However I have been back to work for 5 months and finally just can't keep my supply up by pumping at work anymore. So I'm going to start slowly adding formula in to her diet but holy crap there are so many kinds to choose from!

What formula do you guys use? Good experiences bad experiences?

I know all babies are different and react differently but I'm hoping to get a starting point :)

Also when can I start giving her whole milk ? At 1 year maybe ?

Ps. Little one does eat baby food twice a day as well

Thanks ladies!
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chaotic.mind
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Can you talk to your doctor about taking something that can increase your supply?

I wasn't able to breastfeed. My kids wouldn't latch so I pumped but ended up drying up after 3 weeks. I saw someone on here comment about talking to the doctor about something to help with your supply. Maybe try that. 

We used Enfamil for two kids and similac with the other. No other reason than that's what the hospital had (I supplemented along with pumping) 

You should also ask the pediatrician which one they recommend. 

AbbeysMom2013
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM
My daughter uses Kirkland brand from Costco. Our dr told us it's the same as similac and enfimil (it also has charts on the can to compare) and it's a fraction of the price.

When we switched from breastmilk they had us use soy, they said it's easier for babies used to bm. But it constipated my daughter so we didn't use it long.
Qmama206
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:33 PM
My supply began only 5 months into breastfeeding and since I was breastfeeding during the daytime I switched to similac for breastfed babies. It's a forest green color. After about 2 months I finally made the switch to similac advance.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM

We tried everything and I had one very very sick baby so he is on a specialty formula. Sorry I couldn't be of any help but I will give you a bump :)

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM
How much are you able to pump? Are you aware that a breastfed baby only needs 1oz per hour of separation and that amount never increases? If you can avoid formula at all, it would be so much better for her!
kailu1835
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I used enfamil when I had to supplement with my middle child.  After my youngest was about a year old, I started carrying formula with me for longer trips, and I originally tried Similac because it was cheaper, but he had a horrible reaction to it.  From one diaper change to the next, his bottom got so beet red and raw that it was starting to bleed.  So I switched over to Enfamil, and never had any problems after that.

wedding planning

kailu1835
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM
That is SO not correct.
Quoting stepconfused182: How much are you able to pump? Are you aware that a breastfed baby only needs 1oz per hour of separation and that amount never increases? If you can avoid formula at all, it would be so much better for her!

wedding planning

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM
It's absolutely correct. Oh and OP, forgot to answer your milk question. If you still nurse her 3 times a day after she turns a year old, she doesn't need any other milk sources. But, yes, you can give cows milk at 1 year.

Quoting kailu1835: That is SO not correct.
Quoting stepconfused182: How much are you able to pump? Are you aware that a breastfed baby only needs 1oz per hour of separation and that amount never increases? If you can avoid formula at all, it would be so much better for her!
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I would suggest speaking with your pedi first. We used Similac because I had gotten samples in the mail and it's the same brand the hospital used. I consulted my pedi first before I started supplementing.

I started transitioning my daughter to whole milk at 11 months. I started at night, and mixing 1 oz of milk to 5 oz of formula. Each week I would go up in oz with the milk until it was 1/2 and 1/2. We did a slow wean. Up until this morning she got 4 oz of formula in the morning and before bed she got 1/2 milk and 1/2 formula. She is now almost 14 months and this morning I used our last can of formula. She did good with just milk this evening. I warmed it and she drank it all.

At 8 months she got solids 1-2 times a day. I would make sure she at least had some breakfast and dinner. When she turned 1, we started transitioning her to 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks.

mckinneymom918
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Agreed. Make sure a bottle is the last resort. And make sure your baby is nursing when you are together. This does wonders for supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN