Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are there any female Correctional Officers here?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 14 Replies
Just wondering your experiences. How was the interview process etc.? Do you have any interview tips or just tips/advice in general? I imagine it can be an interesting, dangerous, rewarding career.
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:07 PM

DH used to work in corrections but obviously that isn't much help, lol.  Good luck with it all!

Ilovemybbgrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Any advice is helpful. Especially since a lot of men will feel that a woman doesn't belong... Maybe he can offer tips? Interview... Testing etc. Is he no longer in the field? Why did he leave?

Quoting countrygirlkat:

DH used to work in corrections but obviously that isn't much help, lol.  Good luck with it all!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

He was actually not a corrections officer but a teacher in the corrections facility who worked closely with the officers and was trained to help them.  He did enjoy it but we had our first child and wanted to move out of the city and into the coutnry to raise our family and he didn't find another corrections teaching job, just a normal teaching one in a smaller town. 

Before he accepted the other job though he did interview for actual corrections positions but decided to stay with teaching.  He basically said to just be honest and be yourself.  He had to do lie detectors and such during the interview process so they will find out if you lie about something so he says you might as well be honest from the start and if there is something questionable about your past then tell the truth straight out and go from there. 

As for a women being in with a majority of men, he said that although it stinks a lot of times it comes down to proving yourself as competant and part of the team.  As soon as they see you are there to help and that you are a help and somebody they can count on then usually gender doesn't matter, at least with the other officers.  You may always get flack from inmates on and off but hopefully not too much. 

He is actually asleep now so this is all just from my memory of things he said while interviewing and working but I think it is what he would say if I asked him now too. 

Quoting Ilovemybbgrl: Any advice is helpful. Especially since a lot of men will feel that a woman doesn't belong... Maybe he can offer tips? Interview... Testing etc. Is he no longer in the field? Why did he leave?
Quoting countrygirlkat:

Ilovemybbgrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!

Quoting countrygirlkat:

He was actually not a corrections officer but a teacher in the corrections facility who worked closely with the officers and was trained to help them.  He did enjoy it but we had our first child and wanted to move out of the city and into the coutnry to raise our family and he didn't find another corrections teaching job, just a normal teaching one in a smaller town. 

Before he accepted the other job though he did interview for actual corrections positions but decided to stay with teaching.  He basically said to just be honest and be yourself.  He had to do lie detectors and such during the interview process so they will find out if you lie about something so he says you might as well be honest from the start and if there is something questionable about your past then tell the truth straight out and go from there. 

As for a women being in with a majority of men, he said that although it stinks a lot of times it comes down to proving yourself as competant and part of the team.  As soon as they see you are there to help and that you are a help and somebody they can count on then usually gender doesn't matter, at least with the other officers.  You may always get flack from inmates on and off but hopefully not too much. 

He is actually asleep now so this is all just from my memory of things he said while interviewing and working but I think it is what he would say if I asked him now too. 

Quoting Ilovemybbgrl: Any advice is helpful. Especially since a lot of men will feel that a woman doesn't belong... Maybe he can offer tips? Interview... Testing etc. Is he no longer in the field? Why did he leave?

Quoting countrygirlkat:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM

You are welcome!  Good luck. 

Quoting Ilovemybbgrl: Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!
Quoting countrygirlkat:

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 4:44 AM

I was an officer in a medium security male prison for a few years. I worked 3rd shift and they were in bed for a good portion of the night. I went in at 10pm and during the week lights out were at 11:30pm or on Monday nights when MNF was over. On weekends it was 1:30am. Most of the men respected the women but tried to get away with more. We had to learn self defense and we carried mace. It was very cold when I started and we took turns when we had outside rounds. The lieutenants and captain had no problem with it as long as the yard was covered. Be assetive but still be female. Make sure your hair is cut or in a bun. They can and will pull a ponytail in a fight.

tatbmom
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I just completed the interview process for our prison. We had to pass a physical agility test which consisted of at least 2 push ups 12 sit ups a 51 meter sprint in 20 seconds and a half mile in 6 and a half minutes.
Mishy2
by Michelle on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I am a Correctional Officer. The interview process was good, it is an interesting career for sure, can be dangerous, and you have to be on your toes. It is not for everyone, you have to have thick skin, and if you enjoy doing it as a career you really could love it.

Ilovemybbgrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Quoting tatbmom: I just completed the interview process for our prison. We had to pass a physical agility test which consisted of at least 2 push ups 12 sit ups a 51 meter sprint in 20 seconds and a half mile in 6 and a half minutes.

How'd you do? Are you athletic? When will you know if you have the position?
tatbmom
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I haven't worked out since highschool which has been about 10 years. I passed all the tests and I start April 14th. To me running after kids is my exercise and I do plan to start working out. lol. What state do you live in? The hardest part for me will be that I have to go to Richmond for 5 weeks and can only come home on weekends. My 19 mo will not be happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)