Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should the grandmother get paid for babysitting?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM
  • 304 Replies

My bestie, L, recently started working again and her mom is keeping the kids ages 5, 7, and 9 for 4-5hrs a day, 5 days a week. L told me today that her mom has been feeding them snacks after school and dinner each night and asked L if she could either give her some money or provide some of the food to help offset the cost.

L is LIVID but I don't think her mom is out of line for asking for that. L saves $180/wk by taking the kids to her mom's and all her mom wants is for L to help with the food costs, nothing more. And when my mom, who's friends with L's mom, said if she were her, she'd ask L for $50/wk, L went off on my mom.

What do you think? Should L's mom get paid for babysitting her grandkids?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM
28 moms liked this
I personally think if it is an all the time, every week thing you should at least offer money. She should bring snacks and even take Mom out to dinner some weekends in thanks too. The Mom is not out of line wanting something for her time and all she is providing. I would never do it because I like my freedom. Grandma needs to tell ungrateful dd to take a hike and get childcare elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m.garcia21
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:22 PM
25 moms liked this
She should pay her and provide food or pay for the food, your friend sounds like an entitled little brat. Her mom didnt have those kids she did
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM
37 moms liked this
Make it easier and no arguments over pay or providing food. Grandma watches the kids at THEIR house. Runs up THEIR electric bill, water bill, and uses THEIR food problem solved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Since it's an all week thing, I think so.

Blue462
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Since this is her full time sitter then yes. She needs to help provide the food. It would seem like common courtesy to offer money or food.
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM
7 moms liked this
It's always nice having grandmas babysit for free, but they definitely shouldn't be expected to for that many hrs a week or if it's a financial strain for them.

This grandma is being very reasonable by simply asking her to help cover the costs of feeding the kids...she's still giving her time to watch them for free. Why would you want to put your mom in more of a financial strain?! The daughter doesn't know how good she has it...daycare costs a fortune. Sounds like she needs a wake up call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this

She is doing L a favor, it should not break her bank to do so.  The least this ungrateful daughter should do is to give her money for food that the kids are eating.  

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course she should pay her. It's tacky not to.
cocoroo
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, she should pay her.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah she should b helping with food cost
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)