Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

After I pay the bills, the grad trip, birthday, easter, and prom for one kid.  I only have $16 left.....Can I please just catch a break...Anyone else in my shoes?

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-16):
singlemom2-4
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Quoting bcauseimthemom:

Why not have the oldest child that needs all these things get a part time job to help pay for the items and trips and other activities that are leaving you broke... especially since you have more than one child....

SHe has been trying but we live in a area that has a really high unemployment rate and so when she is applying for jobs she gets looked over real quick because there are so many people trying for the job.  Plus she doesn't have her license and I would be the one that would have to drive her places.  I am hoping that since she is going to be going to college she will be able to use some of her grant money to buy her own school clothes this year because once the "extra" bills are done, its time to start school clothes shopping and then its time to start christmas shopping.  It never ends,,

foxymomof4
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Sorry things are hard it must be very frustrating. Having kids with special need must make things even tougher because the need all the love and care from their mom. Try to cut out things that you don't need. Sometimes people think that trips and parties are a need but they are not. We do parties but only immediate family and a couple of friends and since 2 of my girls bdays are closed together we throw a party for both of them. I'm a SAHM and so blessed my hubby knows how to manage the money he brings home.
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Trust me, I know. I was a single mom for eight years. Luckily, I met and married an amazing man almost eleven years ago.  

Good Luck.

Quoting singlemom2-4:
Quoting bcauseimthemom:

Why not have the oldest child that needs all these things get a part time job to help pay for the items and trips and other activities that are leaving you broke... especially since you have more than one child....

SHe has been trying but we live in a area that has a really high unemployment rate and so when she is applying for jobs she gets looked over real quick because there are so many people trying for the job.  Plus she doesn't have her license and I would be the one that would have to drive her places.  I am hoping that since she is going to be going to college she will be able to use some of her grant money to buy her own school clothes this year because once the "extra" bills are done, its time to start school clothes shopping and then its time to start christmas shopping.  It never ends,,

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I have been there, you have to have an emergency fund, anytime I needed anything I sat and thought about the least expensive way to get it. I asked my friends for hand-me-downs for the kids, I shopped thrift stores, I had pot luck parties, my 3 kids got all their sporting equipment second hand...we never ate anything unless it was on sale, I shopped only the grocery specials. If you are like most families there is a lot you can cut in your grocery shopping. As a result of all that frugality my kids are really good with money now and our retirement is in great shape. But I never felt like we were poor or disadvantaged. The good news is your daughter will find out at college that what she wears doesn't matter anymore, nobody cares! My oldest sometimes would change clothes 3 times in the morning during high school, sigh. The Frugalista Group can help you if you're serious about cutting costs. You might consider doing some before school or after school care in your home, or even occasional elder care.

Quoting singlemom2-4:
Quoting bcauseimthemom:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Have your teen get a job or you a 2nd job maybe. 

Jessy76
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I understand you completely. We have twins girls graduating this year which means all these bills you mentioned times 2. It is a struggle but we make it. The thing that saved us this year is that our girls work and are paying for 1/2 of everything. We have also been saving for a few month in anticipation of these expenses. I am a bargain shopper and was able to get 3 prom dresses, shoes for each dress plus a petticoat for one of the dress all for under $150 total.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)