Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you yell at your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
  • 85 Replies

I've been seeing a lot of posts where moms mention that they yell at their kids a lot. I admit I've lost it a couple of times and yelled, but it's not something I do often and I really try not to raise my voice with them. I just don't think it gets me anywhere good with them, you know?

Do you yell at your kids? Is it something you try not to do and it just happens, or do you just do it often and don't think it's that big of a deal?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I speak in a stern tone.  I very rarely yell.  Basically the only times I yell is if dd is doing something dangerous that she knows she is not allowed to do.  My dd is well behaved most of the time and a stern tone when she isn't is more than enough to get her to act right.

My sister yells and curses at her kids pretty frequently.  It bothers me when she curses at her kids but I never say anything.  I just mind my own business.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I do admit to yelling sometimes but I don't curse for sure and I agree with you, that bothers me too when I hear people doing it. 

Quoting -PB:

I speak in a stern tone.  I very rarely yell.  Basically the only times I yell is if dd is doing something dangerous that she knows she is not allowed to do.  My dd is well behaved most of the time and a stern tone when she isn't is more than enough to get her to act right.

My sister yells and curses at her kids pretty frequently.  It bothers me when she curses at her kids but I never say anything.  I just mind my own business.

Nikkijr
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I was raised in a home filled with yelling. My childhood was far from ideal. I caught myself repeating this behavior and I had to take a step back and learn how to control myself. I still yell once in a while, but I strive to quit yelling altogether. I rarely cuss and I have never cussed my children. I was cussed at as a child. It's mental abuse. I hope you do say something. It leaves scars that only Yahweh can heal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Often, no but definitely in a tone that means business and i dont make empty threats.  I will put them in timeout, I will send them to their room to calm down, I will throw out a toy if its is left on the floor after I asked them top put it away.  I do try and keep my temper at bay for the most part.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I make a very conscious effort not to.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM
No. I don't agree with parents yelling at their children.
JC2223
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I've been guilty of yelling at DD more in the past, but I've worked hard on not yelling unless it's necessary. I usually only have to raise my voice when I've had to repeat myself 3-4 times because she ignores me at times.

1979-2-7-kim
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM
I used to yell a lot, but I have toned it down a huge amount. I will yell upstairs to the kids, but that is different! (it's to get them downstairs) as far as being a potty mouth... guilty! But I don't curse at them... just around them, which is still bad I know!!!! I do admit to loosing my temper with the older kids when I have to repeat myself too many times.
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I try not to

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM
9 moms liked this
Yea I do. I've scaled back. You can only repeat yourself soooo many times before a yell is needed to garner attention. Oh well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN