• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Motherly Advice Raising My 3 year old Toddler Baby girl Grace

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi Everybody I hope everybody is having a great week so far. Thanks for letting me come and join this group. First off all I will tell you I am a Married 34 year old lady in Colonial Heights Va. I am on the very friend Marriage with Robert Grace's daddy and Grace is my very first child. So all of this is all new to me. Today I am at the end of my rope with Grace I am lost. I will tell you she does go to preschool everyday from 8 am until either 3:00 or 4:00. Then when she gets home in about 10 mins she turns into this biggest monester now the sweet angel I have been raising the last 3 years off my life. This week has been very rough with dealing with her. Everytime I tell her no from doing something she shouldn't or I will not let her have something she really wants. She has a very bad habit off telling me no all the time after I tell her no. The worst situation she also has a bad habit she will go run to another room in the house pick up soemthing in the room and throw it. I just don't know how to deal with this kind of behavior. Looking back i am also thinking about my Aunt Lisa she never ld her daugther no. Victoria got everything she wanted every single time and baby her all the time. Now  Tori is a teenager she acts so bad starts fights at school everything you can think off. She has been in and out of jail several times. Tori has also been put on house arrest she is a big mess. I see all the time all the stress Lisa goes with everyday dealing with Tori and the law. I DO NOT want to deal with that when Grace turns a teenager that is why I want to fix this bad behavior now. Can somebody please message on CafeMom or you can reach me by my e-mail which is TrishaOnline3333@gmail.com. My goal is to have a much better evening tonight when she gets home after 4:oo. I hope to hear from somebody really soon. Have a wonderful day today.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I'm sorry mama!

3 is a tough age.  I know...DD is 3 1/2.  

The thing is at this age, they DO know what they are doing most of the time and they ARE pushing boundaries. DD is a perfect angel at pre-school, but at home she can be very difficult and is incredibly independent and stubborn to boot.  What I find works is really being consistent with punishments and instilling a system.  Not all things work for all kids, so you may have to find the right punishment for your child.  For us, it was time-outs and taking away something that DD likes (whether it be a toy or not allowing her to watch tv). Don't give in.  She'll scream and throw a tantrum and maybe even saw mean things to you, but it's to get a reaction and to get what she wants. I think at one point, DD threw an epic meltdown over something like a snack that fell on the floor and she went on for about 5 minutes before realizing it wasn't going to work.  It's gotten a lot better. 

You have to remember that you CAN also reason with them at this point now to a certain extent so they'll understand the punishment system.  Once everyone is calm, talk to her about her behavior and what is acceptable and what isn't.  It has to be a constant conversation.

veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

3 is very tough. Don't react too much when she has a tantrum, try ot ignore it. If she throws things, goes after u, don't freak, my DD did the same thing at that age. Time-out works good at this age, even if u have to keep putting her back into time-out over and over again. Your best defense is to stay calm when she is not.

And remember! This is just a phase. It will pass.

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

People think they are in the clear after the terrible twos, but the threes are way worse. Hang in there mama, it will get better!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The 3s are really hard, harder than the "terrible twos" if you ask me!

The ladies above have some good advice for you.  Hang in there, it gets better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)