• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD Medication

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
We just started our 9 year old son on Vyvanse today. He was on Adderal from age 5-8 we took him off adderal because it was affecting his weight drastically. Once off the medication he did great! Was a little hyper then normal but he was still able to focus, do great in school, his attention seeking was under control. About a month ago things began to decrease and his ADHD seemed to kick into HIGH gear, so much that school was being affected. That is when we decided to research our options for him without going back on Adderal. He had gained 11 pounds since stopping Adderal and we do not want his weight to be affected as he is already a scrawny little guy. :) I was wondering if any moms on here have any input on Vyvanse, or have a child with ADHD and what medications work the best for them without affecting their appetite horribly.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bleacheddecay
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM

My girl also gained a great deal, way more than 11 pounds since going off of adderal.

She is currently on vyvance but hasn't gained or lost on it as far as I can tell.

The first drug she was on was Straterra and that worked well for years but eventually had to be changed.

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I work with kids with ADHD but we work on stimulating dopamine receptors in other ways, so I'm no help.
KikiB85
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM
My 9y old is on adderall. It does affect what he eats. He won't eat when he's on it and a day we forget the meds he eats non stop. He's like 55lbs.

He's seeing a new Dr in a week and I'm wondering if I should try switching him. He says the medicine makes him really whiny and not hungry. So i plan to talk to the Dr about it.
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM

My daughter takes Concerta, but because of the weight issues she doesn't usually take it on school breaks or weekends.  I've also learned that when it wears off in the late afternoon is when she's hungriest and that she often wakes up and needs to eat during the night.  We also have needed at times to supplement her diet with things like Carnation instant breakfast drinks and lots of peanut or almond butter.

She's never taken Vyvance but has taken ritalin which worked ok, but wore off too quickly. We also tried Strattera, but that caused some pretty bad depression symptoms (to the point that her teachers started thinking she was taking recreational drugs) so I took her off of that real quick!

mamatrautsch
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Thank you all so much for your responses and input! I'm sorry I haven't been on in so long to check this. :( Our son is doing GREAT on Vyance with it only affecting his appetite a small amount. Retrokitty I would LOVE to get some advice on how to stimulate his dopamine receptors without the use of medication! So any and all advice or experiences you may have would be GREATLY welcomed! :)
UticaMama
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM

DS is 8 and he is on concerta. He took vyvanse for awhile then built up a tolerance to it. Both meds affected his weight. He does seem to eat more on the concerta than he did on the vyvanse.

butterfly61806
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM

My daughter was diagnosed and the doctor started of on ritalin. When she needed a long lasting medication we switched to concerta. It worked really well and didn't have a problem with her weight or appetite like with ritalin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)