Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh, how to deal with pessimism from family?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 2 Replies

Both of my grandparents have been in and out of hospitals over the last few months. One of them is having surgery in about an hour and the other is doing well enough to be released this afternoon. My sister's been posting all over Facebook asking for prayers for them, and that's fine, but she's also been going on and on about how they're both prepared to "go on to Glory" and that they've "made peace with the Lord and are ready when He calls." She keeps pointing out how old and frail they are, over and over, like she's ready for them to die so she can just move on with life or something, IDK? I'm not an idiot -- I know their illnesses at their ages means they won't be around much longer -- but does she have to keep pointing this out? It's just so dark and depressing, and I don't find comfort at all in the knowledge that they're "ready to go." They don't even know what's wrong with the one this time, so how can they talk like it's the end already? And the other's going home, for crying out loud, chattering happily about getting in her garden tomorrow, so she's clearly not doing that poorly at the moment. How do you deal with fatalistic, pessimistic, gloom-and-doom family members that focus on the worst like this?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
DisabledVet
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Maybe she enjoys the attention she's getting. Don't let it bother you. Enjoy your time with them.

Some gave all and all gave some. Remember your rights as an American were earned with the blood of others. Don't waste them and please do your duty as a citizen and vote intelligently in every election.

Bleacheddecay
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I roll my eyes and carry on. I also spend at little time with that person or looking at what they are posting as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)