Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Advice Needed: Eczema care for itchy skin

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 29 Replies

I know diet changes are probably in order for long term eczema prevention, but what about the short term, for the current flare and itchy skin? I hate to see my 5 year old so uncomfortable and unhappy. :(

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bella-Kiwi
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I like Aveeno Eczema lotion. It seems to stop my LO's itching. Penaten also helps a lot and actually clears up the redness for a short while!
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Eucerine cream. Cetafil cleanser. Hydrocortizone cream
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeccaWooten
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM
I use aveno eczema soap. Its a baby soap but its gentle. Im not a huge fan of the smell but my dd use to feel like a fish all the time. The tops of her feet would look like she had huge sores it was so sad. And embarrassing when people would ask "whats wrong with her feet? Why is her skin so rough?" That soap has helped a bunch i also use the aveno lotion. The dr recommend the eucerine cream also if the aveno wasnt thick enough.
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

This plus Aveno makes oatmeal bath for eczema.  You can also try giving her zyrtec if the flare is really bad. 

Quoting atlmom2: Eucerine cream. Cetafil cleanser. Hydrocortizone cream

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I use vaseline on the patchy areas.  I use hydrocortizone cream in the more severe areas.

Luvmykidlets
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM

How do you keep little hands off itchy skin?  This is half the battle....

MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM

avoid lotions because they contain higher percentage of water as an ingredient, once it evaporates it dries out a skin even more. EUcerin cream aquaphor ointments are working for a lot of people. Vaniply ointment is great too

xtwistedxlovex
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Grapeseed, coconut, or almond oil. All have anti-inflammatory properties and will help moisturize and heal the skin.

Luvmykidlets
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I love Aquaphor......except I don't love the fit he throws because it's so sticky.  Eczema is just all around frustrating stuff!!!  Tonight he's getting a 15 minute soak in lukewarm water with a special bath oil, then a coating of Aquaphor and then wraps over that.   So hard when I get some good healing going on and then he sneaks off for 10 minutes and scratches himself all up again (setting off another skin flare up).......

Quoting MommyOK:

avoid lotions because they contain higher percentage of water as an ingredient, once it evaporates it dries out a skin even more. EUcerin cream aquaphor ointments are working for a lot of people. Vaniply ointment is great too

MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Quoting Luvmykidlets:

I love Aquaphor......except I don't love the fit he throws because it's so sticky.  Eczema is just all around frustrating stuff!!!  Tonight he's getting a 15 minute soak in lukewarm water with a special bath oil, then a coating of Aquaphor and then wraps over that.   So hard when I get some good healing going on and then he sneaks off for 10 minutes and scratches himself all up again (setting off another skin flare up).......

Quoting MommyOK:

My son who'll be 7 in a month has been suffering from severe eczema his whole life so I know ALL ABOUT how hard it is...... feel free to ask if you have any more questions

At 5 he should be able to verbalise more and  easier to reason with. AS far as I undestand eczema ourbreaks are terrible BUT they itch even if the skin looks fine. Deffinitely have him tested for allergies and change the diet, detergents. Bleach baths are good to avoid the secondary infections. Good luck. Lots of patience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)