Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have no idea what to do w my 10 year old

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter has a friend that lives 4 houses down. U have to cross a small street to get there but it's not a busy area. She asked to take her bike there while I was at an appointment. The friend has a small parking area they ride in. I told her it was ok but she was not allowed to leave the friends because her cell phone was dead and I wasn't going to be in the area. I called the mom aT 6:15 and said she could head home I was a BLock away. 10 min later or so she's no where to be found. The friends sister came over to say they were out riding there bike and she can't find them. She was missing for a good 40 min. The mom was driving around looking. She showed up saying she was at the park which is right next to my house but has a tree line so I can't actually see the park but the mom would have seen them when she drove by. She's been upset all night wouldn't even eat dinner says she's so sorry n I think she scared herself when she came home n couldn't find me cause I was our front looking for her. I told her she's grounded for 2 weeks. This isn't the first time she didn't come home on time or left w out telling me what was going on but she's never been gone that long. I told her a million times why it's not safe to just go wherever she wants and she needs to listen when I say she can't to places etc. i told her I was about to call the police and I know she's freaked out but I just feel like 2 weeks of no electronics friends and early bedtime doesn't seem like enough to drill home the reasons behind y she's in trouble
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Have her write an essay or report on child kidnapping. That might drive it home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM
That could backfire. 92% of kids are kidnapped by someone they know.

Quoting beadingmom17: Have her write an essay or report on child kidnapping. That might drive it home.
jandj4
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I just feel like this isn't the first she's been sneaky. I expect teens to try to pull one over but she's 10. She doesn't understand y this really is a big deal and I'm not just being mean. I give her freedom to an extent but she needs to listen n tell me if she wants to do things that involve changing plans. I'm hoping she's scared enough this time she won't do it again but like I've said this isn't the first time I've caught her out on the streets n places when she was told to stay put at her friends house. But normally it's like walking back n forth from my house to her friends w out telling me or being 10 min late getting home for dinner or something.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM
That freedom would be gone until she understands how dangerous it is. Look up a story about a kidnapping of a child her age and have her read it
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM

If my son pulled that he would lose all freedom until he could prove himself to be responsible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)