Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

UV Protection - Prevention for Skin Cancer starts from home

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 5 Replies

We all have seen the horrible pictures of truckers who have been diagnose with skin cancer on the left side of their body. Why is the left side so prominent to this disease? Because thats the side of the body the sun light hits directly while driving. 

Truck drivers are not the only ones exposed to the sun harmful rays. As mothers we spent alot of time in the driver's seat exposing our skin these harmful uv rays. At the same time our children are also being exposed.

We always think of sunscreen on a trip to the beach, but do we really think of sun screen on a quick trip to the mall or supermarket? Fortunetly, there are other ways to protect our home and vehicles to reduce our exposure to UV rays, window tinting.  

A "good, reputable company" will take the time to educate you about the basics of window film. However, the vast majority of companies out there will either push you to their most expensive film, try to sale you based on shade or cheap you out with a low price and a film that will turn purple and become a nightmare with little or no UV protection. 

When choosing window film keep the following two things in mind:

* How long are you keeping your vehicle for? -

ALL Film breaks doown over time. All reputable window film manufacturers provide a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This means that they warranty the film for factory defects for the "expected" lifetime of the film.  

Some window tinting shops will only say "lifetime warranty" keep in mind that is NOT based on your lifetime or your vehicles lifetime. The film's warranty will only be valid based on the amount of years the manufacturer expects that film to last, example below:

Recommended films for vehicles:

Basic- Nickel- 1 ply film - is expected to last 2-3 years

Mid- Carbon -2 ply film-  is expected to last 5-6 years

mid/high- Titaniums and Ceramic Hybrids- 3 ply film- Are expected to last 8-9 years

High- True Ceramics- are expected to last  10-12 years

Pick a film based on how long you plan to keep you vehicle for, therefore you will have warranty the whole time you own the vehicle.

* Legal shade allowed in your state-

All states have their own preference on how dark you can legally go on film. Shade of darkness is a choice you have on every category of film. States measure shade by VLT (visible light Transmission). This is the amount of visible light the film allows through the window. Remember that no matter what the percentage of VLT is or what film you choose- ALL FILMS HAVE listed above 99.9% UV Protection!!

A couple other things to remember:

1. Let the pros handle the job- They can guide you in the right direction.
  2. Don’t try it at home - You may spent more in material and time and still have to call a pro.
  3. Don’t skimp on quality - Protection of UV and the type of climate you live in are important.
  4. Stick with shades of black, not colors- some states have bans on certain colors. 

As mothers our vehicles should provide us with protection from harmful rays which will prevent us and our little ones from skin cancer. Window tint is a small investment compare to the protection it provides. I will recommend all mothers in the state of Florida- to visit www.Tintandaudioexpress.com for a competitive quote and honest service. They are a mobile tinting company who "Comes To You". This is helpful when you have children since you can get your tint job done in the comfort of your home instead of waisting hours of your day at a tint shop. If you are in any other state visit geoshieldusa.com (one of the best film providers in USA) and click on locate dealer. This will be the first step to the right direction. 

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Our windows are definitely tinted but we also make sure to use sunscreen when we leave the house. 

Thanks for sharing this, there is a lot of good information here. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Tfs. :)
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I need window tinting in my home! So many windows!! My car is tinted though!

on another note I was stopped many years ago for my car windows being too dark.

chaotic.mind
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM
My windows are tinted as dark as legally possible. I do wear sunblock too. Even when just in the car. I've had burns on my arm from driving so I learned the hard way.
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Thanks!  I never thought about the tinting on the windows of my car breaking down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN