Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

grocery shopping HELP

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 46 Replies

shoutingHello ladys OK i need advice on how to go grocery shopping :) My limit is about $600/month for Me, Hubby, and two toddlers. Tomorrow i have to go and really dont wanna go over $150/wk. I need help figuring out Breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas that'll stay in my budget "if possible" Mainly Lunch just for Me and lil ones. PLease any advice would help, so i can learn more.`

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM
6 moms liked this

Holy Moly!  We would be eating like kings with that kind of food budget! I have 5 also, the kids are 11 and 13 and 17, all boys!   Know what you already have and make a menu, then a grocery list. Stick to that list. I feed my family on about $350/400 a month, including paper goods and dogfood.

dawncs
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend Aldi's for a grocery store. They have affordable cereals and other food products there.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Breakfast : pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, grits, toast, breakfast burritos, cereal. (Breakfast meat is the expensive part and not healthy. I buy cereal in bulk bags) breakfast casserole

Lunch : grilled cheese, soup, pbj, deli sandwich, mac n cheese, hotdogs, leftovers from dinner,

Dinner: baked chicken, rice/Potato, veggies. Chili, chowder, soup, stew, stir fry, cheeseburger pie, chicken alfredo with added spinach to the sauce, spaghetti garlic bread and salad, hot ham and cheese or turkey and cheese, fish rice and veg, burgers and fries
YMoM22Girls
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

YMoM22Girls
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Quoting lilmama8408: Breakfast : pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, grits, toast, breakfast burritos, cereal. (Breakfast meat is the expensive part and not healthy. I buy cereal in bulk bags) breakfast casserole Lunch : grilled cheese, soup, pbj, deli sandwich, mac n cheese, hotdogs, leftovers from dinner, Dinner: baked chicken, rice/Potato, veggies. Chili, chowder, soup, stew, stir fry, cheeseburger pie, chicken alfredo with added spinach to the sauce, spaghetti garlic bread and salad, hot ham and cheese or turkey and cheese, fish rice and veg, burgers and fries

csmcgr
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This works. I feed my family of three plus my two step daughters three nights out of the week for about 100 every two weeks including household items. However i make everything from scratch

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Holy Moly!  We would be eating like kings with that kind of food budget! I have 5 also, the kids are 11 and 13 and 17, all boys!   Know what you already have and make a menu, then a grocery list. Stick to that list. I feed my family on about $350/400 a month, including paper goods and dogfood.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I cook from scratch too

Quoting csmcgr:

This works. I feed my family of three plus my two step daughters three nights out of the week for about 100 every two weeks including household items. However i make everything from scratch

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

csmcgr
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It makes a world of difference in food costs hu :) i do get complaints from the teens about not enough "snack" food, but there's always a cake or cookies for sweets and sandwich stuff and leftovers if they are hungry

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

I cook from scratch too

Quoting csmcgr:

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM

yeah it saves us alot of money, as far as snack foods, i make nut free granola or get a bag of oranges and bananas and cut up and freeze. they also get jello with fruit in it, i buy cereal on sale and bag it insnack bags and they love that, cheerios is one of their favs to eat dry. I dont get sugared cereals. lefovers are also a good snack lol.

Quoting csmcgr:

It makes a world of difference in food costs hu :) i do get complaints from the teens about not enough "snack" food, but there's always a cake or cookies for sweets and sandwich stuff and leftovers if they are hungry

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

I cook from scratch too

Quoting csmcgr:

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

lulumomof2
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I spend about $400 a month for myself, my dhand 2 teenage sons (15 and 13). And that includes non-food things like soaps and such. I'm a once a month shopper ( I really dislike going to the grocery store) for things meats and other things that can be frozen or stored. I go back to the store for fresh items once a week or so. I do price matching and even if I've already bought for the month, if something that I will use goes on sale, I will stock up (like last week, or 2 weeks ago a store had powerade on sale for a really good price plus I had some coupons I got from my coke rewards points. My sons won't really drink them now, but come June and July they will).

I also go to Sam's club for many things that I use on a regular basis. I also keep a price log so I know if some regular store has it on sale I know if its a good price or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)