Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spring Cleaning Challenge Day 2: Start the Purge

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 91 Replies

Welcome to Day 2 of the Spring Cleaning Challenge!

Do you have a lot of stuff you no longer need? Sort through your things to decide if an item is something you want to keep, if it's broken, or if it's donatable. If you want to keep something but find it a better place in your home, put it in a "Keep" pile. If it's beyond repair, put it in a "Toss" pile to throw away or recycle. If it's in good shape but you no longer need it, put it in a "Donate" pile. The goal is to have far more items in your "Toss" or "Donate" piles than in your "Keep" pile.

Do you have a lot of items you'd like to donate?
What's your favorite donation center?
How much space could you reclaim by purging items in your home?

One member who signs up for our Spring Cleaning Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will win a CafeMom Prize Pack!

<< Click here for Day 1's activity

Click here to start from the beginning & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Spring Cleaning Challenge & WIN a CafeMom Prize Pack!!

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morisa32
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM
I just did this yesterday! Some clothes was passed along to a friend. Others were donated.
mary716
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a lot of clothes, coats and hardly worn shoes that had to be donated. As well as some furniture and toys.

Our favorite donation center is our local community mission, my husband works there so je can easily take the donations with him on his way to work :)

As for reclaiming space: my closets look EMPTY! Yay!
syanmomie
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Our pills are toss, keep, and yard sale. We do the yard sale the weekend before the donation truck goes through our neighborhood. Whatever didn't sell gets donated. Only have three weeks to sort the whole house and the garage!

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I'm going through ds' clothes and some I'll see if my sil wants and the rest I'll donate.
blessedtohave7
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Just started doing this...I have two piles donate or keep...we have more donate than keep.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I've been donating to those charities that come by and pick up. I'm just a little unsure, though, about whether they are legit.

I have a few things piling up in my donate pile now.

RobynS
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I am slowly working on getting rid of things. Will have a garage sale and then donate anything that doesn't sell.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM

We just donated items. It felt good to get rid of things without throwing them away.

leahbeah143
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM
I have a couple bags of clothes that need to be dropped off
IUMer
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM

We have been purging like crazy because my daughter moved back in and wants to clean out her storage unit. Plus my 3 year old grandson's daddy is going into the Army so he has toys from his room at his house. We have donated ALOT of stuff. Some things we sold on Facebook - like a phonics set and lamp. Some stuff we give away to people we know would really love to have it. (Like some toys to my friend for when her great niece is at her home.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)