Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Newborn tummy troubles

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM
  • 17 Replies
My poor 3 week old baby has been having problems with his digestion. First, at the hospital after he was born, the poor kid turned out to have a cow milk intolerance so he was switched to soy formula. Things were going well until he got constipated. He would only poop once a day, it was very hard poop, and my husband and I had to....errr...."assist" him to get him to poop. My DS would scream his head off like it hurt. His pediatrician said we could give him pedialight to regulate him. It worked, he is no longer constipated! But he still screams like crazy when he is working on a bowel movement, even if it is a couple hours before he poops. It's hard to get him to sleep because his stomach is so uncomfortable. I don't know if I should be worried that something is wrong or if he just has an immature digestive system and it will work itself out in a few weeks. Either way, has anyone experienced something similar? Any tips on how to soothe him? Should I be worried or is this normal? I'm a FTM and recently moved to a new state away from family and friends so I have no support and I live in a tiny town that has no new mom groups. Also please don't give me crap about formula feeding. I have legitimate reasons for not BF ing and telling me I should have BF is not helpful.
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ruby83
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

i would try chamomile tea like in a place of a water bottol it helps, i would look in to a bit of proon juice and last i dont know how you feel about otc but i always like malicon it help my baby with gass.

KikiB85
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM
I have no suggestions but here a bump. Hope it works out.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Most babies with milk protein can't handle soy.
funhappymom
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I don't have much experience with constipation in infants. Has your doctor suggested switching formula again? It sounds to me like it might be helpful. I'd be concerned with giving him pedialyte or other non formula type stuff at this young of an age.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I have heard of Gripe water. Its used for upset tummies and gas. It may help!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

Mrs.Urquhart
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM
It's not too late to try breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM
What brand are you using? My kids could never tolerate similac. As soon as we switched they started pooping normal on their own. Used GoodStart with one and Enfamil with this baby. Is it has causing him to be uncomfortable? My pedi said to use Little Tummies gas drops.
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I would try a different formula that is gentle on tummies. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Oh,  and welcome to the group!!!

yperez0209
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM
This mom is right. Please check out this formula, nutramigen. It's hypoallergenic, it is milk based but the proteins are broken up so that his body can't recognize them. I've been in your place with three children and it worked. By law your insurance company must cover the cost once you meet your yearly deductible.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Most babies with milk protein can't handle soy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN