Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! How to alleviate the pain of a broken collar bone!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

Just two days ago my 6 year old son broke his clavicle (collar bone) on his right side. He tripped over a friend and landed on his shoulder. We went to the ER and got Xrays. Now 2 days later he is in alot of pain. Of course it is hard to slow down a 6 year old boy in Kindergarten. I am giving him Motrin and Ibruprofren... alternating them every 6-8 hours. And I know that ice in a baggie wrapped in a towel can be helpful as well. But is there anything else I can do for my baby? He is crying and asking for the medicine like every two hours and I cant give it to him that often. Is there anything else I can do to help my baby? Sling, OTC Med, and Ice are not helping as much as we had hoped.

Please Help!

by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

call his dr

kewimom
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Motrin and Ibuprofen are the same thing, did you mean Tylenol and Motrin, I get that you are stressed and I am sure tired. Did they give him a sling? My brother broke his collar bone when he was 7. I don't remember much. Prayers for quick healing, ice and being still, hugs to you and him.
OneHotMaMi
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

call his dr

We have an appointment tomorrow. I called earlier today on my lunch and the nurses were not available. The Emergency Room told us nothing when we originally went in.

Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Definitely talk to his doctor - they should be able to give him something better to handle the pain. My baby brother broke his falling off a chair at age 2 or 3 but he had a prescription for his pain, not OTC meds.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Did they give you a regular arm sling or an arm stabilizer. An arm stabilizer has a strap that goes around the waist, a strap that goes around the upper arm and another above the wrist, it basically completely immobilizes the arm. You can ask the dr, they sell them at most drug stores.

I would ask the dr about pain meds. But as someone already said Motrin and Ibuprofen are the same thing. You could also try Epsom Lotion or salt.

teaandcookies
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

it sounds like you need to slow down the meds so he will understnad the limitations of his body>

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

What do you mean by 'sling'?

Is it just a sling, or is it an actual immobilizer? For me, mine ached a lot but it only HURT when it was moved or bumped. I broke mine twice, so make sure he knows that he's going to have to be careful. I wore my immobilizer for 6 weeks, but broke my collarbone again 4 months later.

AviannasMama
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM
My dd actually broke her collarbone during labor and delivery. They just had us keep it tight to her body by swaddling and stuff. Obviously can't do that w your son! Try to keep it immobilized the best you can. GL.
KimmyShaw
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM

poor thing :(

BUMP

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Try an entire day of arm rest. COuch, cartoons, snacks, etc. Anything to keep him from using his arm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN