Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Thinking of changing my 10 yrs old DS name

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 54 Replies
Hi everyone!!
This is the situation...I wasn't born or raised here in USA, so when I had my kids I named my DS3 with what I thought at the moment was a beautiful boyish name LOL but after we moved here to NJ, his name started sounds more like a girl's name. Even have had problems with his paperwork because people always without asking presumed that he is a she. I've asked him several times if he wants me to officially change his name and he always answers that I don't have to, it doesn't matter. At the same time he doesn't want to be called by his name, that's kind of a problem when there's a subs at school. Do u think that I'm making a big deal out of it?
Btw his name is Alexis, we call him Alex.
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

If you call him Alex and that's what he likes being called, I would officially change it to avoidd the confusion

DD78
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Thanks , that what I'm thinking to do 😊
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I think it would be very weird to change it. Later in life he will most likely think WTF ? about your changing it. Then again your child do what you feel is best. I would never change my sons names. My son is Cole 27 years ago it was rarely heard. Teachers used to do roll call and say Nicole. Then get pissed no one answered. Then he would be left waiting for his name to be called. I only took a time or two for people to "get it"

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. You can register him at school under an alias. Rather than legally change it, make sure that they have his name for roll call as Alex.
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just register him in school as Alex.

I live in NJ, too. :)

DD78
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM
I got what u telling me, but Cole sounds like a boy, every time that I hear my DS name is for a girl. When we go to his Dr and he's called by his official name people keep looking at us, like wth?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think it would be very weird to change it. Later in life he will most likely think WTF ? about your changing it. Then again your child do what you feel is best. I would never change my sons names. My son is Cole 27 years ago it was rarely heard. Teachers used to do roll call and say Nicole. Then get pissed no one answered. Then he would be left waiting for his name to be called. I only took a time or two for people to "get it"

DD78
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM
I didn't know that I can do that, awesome! Thanks!

Quoting ceciliam:

thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Not really, if she talks to him about it. Of course, I think he is old enough to make the decision, so she should at least get his input.

My brother chose to change his middle name, but he had to wait til he was an adult.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup. My real name is Cecilia Lynn but my whole life I have always gone by Lynn...even in school.

Quoting DD78: I didn't know that I can do that, awesome! Thanks!
Quoting ceciliam:

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I was 11 when we changed my name.  Looking back it was a beautiful name, (Ivy Dawn), but growing up with it, not so much.   If you do change his name, try to have his birth certificate amended.  We didn't and I'm going to look into doing that.  Whenever I have to show my birth certificate for something, I also have to show my name change documents.  You wouldn't think that would be a big deal, but it has caused a few difficulties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)