Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you care if your child's teacher were gay?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's almost the end of the school year so the school's been looking for new teachers to replace a few outgoing teachers retiring at the end of this year. One new hire everyone is buzzing about is a man with tons of qualifications and experience who also happens to be gay. I believe sexuality is irrelevant when it comes to teaching kids, but there are lots of parents who are very upset about it, especially those whose kids will have him for 5th grade next year.

Would it bother you if you found out your child's teacher is gay? How would you talk to your child about the subject if he/she came home asking questions about it?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hk2kids:

I have stopped sending financial support to my Catholic high school because they fired the president after he openly admitted he was gay.  The guy worked there for 9 years, had a partner, and children.  The school had to know about his private life.  I find it such a hypocrisy that they would fire him for being honest.  I always wonder how long they would have kept him if he kept lying.

Surely you know that the Catholic faith prohibits the homosexual lifestyle (and by that I mean - they do not condemn a person BEING homosexual, but they do prohibit participating in homosexual marriage, sexual relationships, or co-habitation). You knew that before, so why would this stance take you by surprise?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM

No, I wouldn't care.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I would not give it a second thought.

TeenMommie4u
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Ya. If They Are Open About It And Act Like It. I Would Ask To Switch Teachers. 

Alot Of Gays Were Molested And Have A Bigger Chance Of Touching Kids. I Woulldnt Chance That! And I Would Let My Child Know That What They Do Is A Sin So They Know I Wont Stand For That To Be In Our FamilY! 

JoanahLee
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM
14 moms liked this

Quoting TeenMommie4u:

Alot Of Gays Were Molested And Have A Bigger Chance Of Touching Kids. I Woulldnt Chance That! And I Would Let My Child Know That What They Do Is A Sin So They Know I Wont Stand For That To Be In Our FamilY! 

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is a crock of ignorant bullshit. Being molested or sexually abused does not increase a persons chances of becoming gay or lesbian, so the number of gay and lesbian people who have been abused is no higher than that of any other population. 

The person most likely to sexually abuse your child is a straight, white man whom you know well enough to allow into your home. 

What exactly would a teacher who wanted to molest a student do about that anyway?  Schools are hyper vigilant about protecting students from abuse, as well as protecting teachers from false allegations.  Teachers are never alone with students and gay teachers are going to be even more vigilant about that because they know there are crazy people out there that believe the shit in your comments. 

I can't imagine telling my children that if they choose to love differently than the main stream they will have no part in our family, which is exactly what you are saying when you tell them that "those people" have no place here... you might just be talking about one of your own children. 

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans youth whos parents are outspoken about their homophobia and make comments about not accepting a gay person in their families are twice as likely as other gay youth to attempt suicide, and gay youth already commit suicide 5 times as often as their heterosexual peers. 

For some families it would really pay to pull their heads out of their asses, unfortunately you might not know if your family is one of them until its too late. 

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I could care less.
sissyboogs
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I couldn't care less about the sexual orientation of my kids' teachers. 

I care that my kids are in a caring, compassionate environment and are learning what they need to learn. 

If my kids had a gay teacher and came home asking questions, I'd probably just tell them that some men love other men, some women love other women, and that it's okay. 

Of course, my kids are already exposed to homosexuality given that I have two uncles who are gay. One has a significant other whom my children have met more than once. 

KW123
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

A straight teacher is more likely to molest/rape a child than a gay one.

Quoting TeenMommie4u:

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM
As long as they weren't bringing their personal life into the classroom or pushing an agenda (as I don't believe any teacher should), I wouldn't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberNewman0213
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM
I wish I could have a gay son. I couldn't get that lucky.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)