Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you care if your child's teacher were gay?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's almost the end of the school year so the school's been looking for new teachers to replace a few outgoing teachers retiring at the end of this year. One new hire everyone is buzzing about is a man with tons of qualifications and experience who also happens to be gay. I believe sexuality is irrelevant when it comes to teaching kids, but there are lots of parents who are very upset about it, especially those whose kids will have him for 5th grade next year.

Would it bother you if you found out your child's teacher is gay? How would you talk to your child about the subject if he/she came home asking questions about it?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Nope. Not a big deal. We are very open minded. Someone else's sexual orientation is not any of my business.
MamaJess9
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM
13 moms liked this
This is why people should finish high school.

Quoting TeenMommie4u:

Ya. If They Are Open About It And Act Like It. I Would Ask To Switch Teachers. 

Alot Of Gays Were Molested And Have A Bigger Chance Of Touching Kids. I Woulldnt Chance That! And I Would Let My Child Know That What They Do Is A Sin So They Know I Wont Stand For That To Be In Our FamilY! 

BrightKisses
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Nope. If dd asked I would tell her that people have to right to love who they love whether it be a man or woman.
BrightKisses
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
😂 I'm sorry, but you are absolutely right!

Quoting MamaJess9: This is why people should finish high school.

Quoting TeenMommie4u:

Alot Of Gays Were Molested And Have A Bigger Chance Of Touching Kids. I Woulldnt Chance That! And I Would Let My Child Know That What They Do Is A Sin So They Know I Wont Stand For That To Be In Our FamilY! 

Jtcjtmom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM
I wouldn't care, would think it would be none of my business.
Momniscient
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM
No I wouldn't care. What does that to do with teaching?
Jenneric2012
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM
As long as he is a good teacher I don't care what he prefers in his personal life. Be it guys, gals, or monkeys (lol jk). I teach my son that we shouldn't judge people on behalf of their race, religion, or sexual prefrence. We are to base out opinion on the character of a person.
Avarah
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I don't care about anyone else's sexuality. It doesn't effect me in the least.

My kid's in kindergarten. We have a playdate friend with two mommies, so we've already had some basic discussions that some people grow up to love people who are the same sex as they are and some grow up to love people who are the opposite sex (like mommy and daddy did). 

I don't discuss who our teachers are screwing, however, whether they're gay or straight.  Their sexuality, whatever it happens to be, is not our business.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM
No , dude can do the job, right ? Be fair in teaching methods? Go for it!

As for questions , I'd start by. " you know how some kids are nosy and always in your business, or spreading rumors or out and out lies about other kids or even you ? Well, there are parent like that. Worrying about other ppls business.

If they came home asking what a homosexual or what gay is. ( mine did at an EARLY age due to the FIRST time CA was trying to pass same sex marriage and it was on the news )

I wasn't prepared but I told him the truth . " you know how a boy and girl decide the like each other and then become bf/gf and then want to get married, right? Well, some boys grow up and like boys, they want a boyfriend and to marry a boy and not a girl. Some girls want to have girlfriends and marry girls."

That was enough. He momentarily looked thoroughly confused, said " okay " like I to him it was bedtime and was over it until much later.

Homosexual DOES NOT EQUAL PEDOPHILE.
sissyboogs
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting TeenMommie4u:

You probably shouldn't let your child be alone with anyone besides you then. 

Leaving the gay aspect out of it, people in general who were abused as children are more likely to be abusers as adults. It's not exactly appropriate to go around asking everyone if they were abused as a child, so you better not leave the kids with anyone. You wouldn't want to chance that, right?

The reality is, ANYONE could abuse a child. Man, woman, straight, gay, religious, atheist, doesn't matter....as a mom, you have to trust your instincts and hope for the  best. 

Lumping a whole group of people into one category and assuming they're all molestors is ignorant. 

Instead of teaching your children hate and ignorance, you should teach them tolerance and compassion. 

I sincerely hope none of your children are homosexual because I don't think any child should have to feel unloved or unwanted by their own mother--especially for something they have no control over. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)