Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

6 year old troubles!!

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

To sum it all up, I do not know what else to do. My 6 year old son (middle child) seems to be acting out every chance he gets. Recently it has been more than just not listening or talking back. For example this past week; he has stole money from his brother, keeps being mean to younger brother, lying, and ruining things that so not belong to him. He is a very smart kid with lots of energy; it just seems like he doesn't know how to focus the energy on good things. I really do not want to take him to the doctor about his behavior, because he can be very good at times. I am really asking for any advice or tips on schedules, routines, anything helpful for keeping him out of trouble. Thanks in advance!! 

~Stephanie 

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Is this new or has it always been this way?
mommyX2boyz
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM

jasonsmom2007- 

He has always been more active compared to my oldest, but it seems to be getting worse. Like today, I found out he stole money from his brother, told him that he cant do that, and that it makes people not trust him, etc. no longer than an hour later, a found that he had pulled feathers off his brothers dream catcher and was using them for his own project.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get hard on him take his stuff away stealing is really bad he needs tough love hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Make sure he's not eating food dyes first of all. That would always be my first step. Last time my son (he has several diagnoses) pinned his then 2 year old sister down and started hitting her until I pulled him off I gave him a list of chores to do. He was grounded to his room until they were all done. That was a year ago and he still says he's never doing that again. He has to be very scheduled especially as far as sleeping goes. It would be easy to not have that schedule since we homeschool but mine needs the schedule.
You say he's smart so he could be bored too. Make sure he has access to various ways to learn and stimulate the brain. Make him a craft tub with things like feathers in it for him to use. Give him ways to earn his own money. When mine lies we tell him we can't believe what he says for a couple of days because he lied to us. It makes things harder on him so he gets it. Make sure there are consequences and rewards. I find with mine I have to have both just one doesn't work. So like there's a consequence for not doing his schoolwork but there's a reward for doing his best on it.
Kids definitely need help learning to focus their energy. An exercise trampoline really helped my son too. He can jump on it without leaving the house and no matter what the weather is like.
I hope that helps some.
mommyX2boyz
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM

jasonsmommy2007-

Thanks for the tips. I have hear about the food dyes before, and will keep an eye on what he is eating/drinking. I like the idea about his own craft box. Thanks again! 

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I'm wondering if negative attention is attention. That he doesn't care that it's negative, just attention. Know what I mean? 

He needs to learn consequences for his actions. Like doing extra chores to earn money to pay his brother back, and/or as a punishment for stealing. 

redmummyof3
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd has become a little terror latley too

she's 7  when she mean to her brother who is 2  she looses privs she can be pretty cruel to him for example she decided that since  he had a treat and she did not she would just take it from him. so she snuck up from behind him and took it when he put it down. my son who is blind searched with his hands to find the treat he was enjoying and got frustrated because it was no were he had put it. my daughter was in the other room stuffing it in her face and my so caught her now she has lost snacks in her lunch for school(cookies grnola bars ect.') and fri night  bedtime snack(pop corn chips ice cream ect) and weekly bed time snacks ( a waffle

fruit cup ect) she gets friut instead or nothing

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

It's probably just a phase, just keep being consistant with your disipline. any talking back or not obeying gets ONE warning and then a six minute time out. Bigger crimes like the stealing and ruining things he needs to work off to earn money to make reparations. Is he friends with any new bad influences, or has there been any changes in the family?  Try to carve out one to one time with him to do a craft or play "go fish" sometimes they will open up about what's worrying them when their hands are busy! Tell stories from your childhood about how you handled problems well or poorly and be sure to praise him when he does the right thing.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM
What do you do for punishments? Do you have dedicated family time?
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would use a behaverial chart.  Award him with small awards if he follows through with a good behavior.  And give him a larger award of his choice at the end of the week.  I would also have him evaluated by a child psychologist.  I say this because sometimes he shows good/bad behavier and ruining other peoples stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN