Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What is a good family vacation with a 3 month old and a 6 year old?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

Each year, we take our son on a family vacation. We try to plan a budget friendly trip. For example, we live a little over an hour from Myrtle Beach so last year we went to MB and stayed one night in a hotel. We enjoyed the hotel for the day, went to medeival times that night and had discounted tickets to the water park the next day and returned home. Total, we probably spent less than $300 including food and transportation as I get preferred employer discounts and we had a coupon code.

This year, we're expecting baby #2 and we want to do a family vactation in early August. I'm 37 weeks pregnant, so we assume that our newborn will be 3 months old. What do you suggest? It needs to be something that the 6 year old will enjoy but also not so strenuous so we can tend to the baby. Our family lives far away, so we don't have anyone the baby can stay with for that time period.

Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM

A slip and side and bbq in the back yard with a trip to the zoo. It is NO fun, in AUGUST traveling with an infant. I know because I've done it. (Well, It was actually july and still too dang hot for her to really go much of any place or there was too much sun and she had to be all wrapped up and hot even if there was a breeze. Plus you have to carry her or push her everywhere, limiting the 6yr old on rides he can get on, or places he can go, and shows he can see etc. We took our son to the shore and board walk ( to visit family before a major event) and honestly I wish I had not gone, I wish DH just took him. All I did was stand with a hot baby strapped to my chest. (there is lots of indoor stuff too and it was still obnoxious with lights and noise (waking baby or causing it to fuss) and baby on my chest.

shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I'm ok sitting out some, but I do know what you mean. We do a lot of family oriented stuff at home. I'm going to try to think about doing something closer to where the inlaws live and see if perhaps we can get grandma to watch the baby for the day. That way we can see family but do a mini vacation at the same time. :)

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't go.  We always got sitters for our kids when they were younger.  When they were both at least 2 we would do a short weekend somewhere, but not a week until they were later preschool and oldest in grade school.  I would do fun things on weekends at home but not any sort of vacation with a 3 month old.  Too hot then too. 

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM
You can go to the beach or zoo. You can go hiking. Are there any indoor water parks near you? You can hang out with the baby in a kiddy pool.
shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

we do live near a small indoor waterpark. We've also considered the Great Wolf Lodge. We live 5 miles from the beach, so that is more of our everyday life than a vacation. (not complaining! haha) Thanks for your input!

Quoting a_and_j_momma: You can go to the beach or zoo. You can go hiking. Are there any indoor water parks near you? You can hang out with the baby in a kiddy pool.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Lots of stuff! We took our kids to Baton Rouge and New Orleans last year. One year we went to universal. Life does not stop just because we had a baby.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM
I'm not the type to stop life because of an infant. Dd was 6 weeks her first time at six flags. We did the aquarium, camping trips, the zoo, science museums, etc all at that age.
shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Disney is the trip we mostly considered at first. Any advice on taking a 3 month old to Disney? My oldest is at the PERFECT age for it!

Quoting Mom2Just1: Lots of stuff! We took our kids to Baton Rouge and New Orleans last year. One year we went to universal. Life does not stop just because we had a baby.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM
I baby wear and plan for
Stops. I also nurse so we have to plan for
Stops!

Quoting shalynoel:

Disney is the trip we mostly considered at first. Any advice on taking a 3 month old to Disney? My oldest is at the PERFECT age for it!

Quoting Mom2Just1: Lots of stuff! We took our kids to Baton Rouge and New Orleans last year. One year we went to universal. Life does not stop just because we had a baby.

Derari
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Any place other than big cities like Miami or NYC...we've travelled extensively with our little kids from when they were infants. Disney is a great choice, but crowded so that is a hindrance for me...bit if you can cope with that Disney would be good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN