Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Unhappy baby

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM
  • 64 Replies
My 6 week old screams all day long. Nothing I do soothes him and I'm at my wits end. He's already on a hypo allergenic formula and his tummy issues have gotten better sense. He won't sleep during the day he's up screaming. Not just being fussy but screaming. He sleeps at night we get up 2 to 3 times a night to feed. I don't know what to do or what could be the cause. Has anyone else experienced this?
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Sounds like colic.I haven't experienced it but I've heard the book Happiest Baby on the Block is good. Dr. Sears should have good info on his site too. Try swaddling and the colic hold. A sound machine may help too. Have you tried gripe water or colic clam? Sorry you're going through this. I hope it gets better.
Mdgstaff14
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I purchased and watched the video. We use a white noise box app and it helps but is only temporary. Gas drops, gripe water etc. we've tried it all. Doesn't make sense why he's so unhappy. Doesn't matter if we hold him put him in the bath nothing helps.

Quoting beachlove512: Sounds like colic.I haven't experienced it but I've heard the book Happiest Baby on the Block is good. Dr. Sears should have good info on his site too. Try swaddling and the colic hold. A sound machine may help too. Have you tried gripe water or colic clam? Sorry you're going through this. I hope it gets better.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:31 PM
6 week olds are fussy beings. I nursed around the clock during that growth spurt. Just hold him, wear him, etc.
chaotic.mind
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM
My kids were super fussy and it was because they had acid reflux. They got baby prilosec and were much better after that.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

This!

I breastfed on demand, wore them in a wrap or a sling, and we co slept at night.

Since you're formula feeding - you won't be able to comfort nurse, or co sleep with your baby, but you can still use a wrap or a sling.

Quoting Mom2Just1: 6 week olds are fussy beings. I nursed around the clock during that growth spurt. Just hold him, wear him, etc.

Emycf
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Why isn't she allowed to sleep with her baby because she's formula feeding? Not attacking, just curious. At 6 weeks my daughter was breastfed, but we switched to formula at 4 months and she still slept with us...

To the OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know it must be frustrating. I'm sorry don't have any advice expect talk to the doctor.

Quoting Randi02:

This!

I breastfed on demand, wore them in a wrap or a sling, and we co slept at night.

Since you're formula feeding - you won't be able to comfort nurse, or co sleep with your baby, but you can still use a wrap or a sling.

Quoting Mom2Just1: 6 week olds are fussy beings. I nursed around the clock during that growth spurt. Just hold him, wear him, etc.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It's one of the biggest co sleeping 'no no's'.

It is due to a couple of things: Bottle feeding mothers are less in tune to their sleeping babies, bottle fed babies are not naturally kept at breast level in the bed, and bottle fed babies do not instinctively keep their heads turned towards their mothers.

The baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, never another caregiver.

Quoting Emycf:

Why isn't she allowed to sleep with her baby because she's formula feeding? Not attacking, just curious. At 6 weeks my daughter was breastfed, but we switched to formula at 4 months and she still slept with us...

To the OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know it must be frustrating. I'm don't have any advice expect talk to the doctor.

Quoting Randi02:

This!

Emycf
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. I guess according to you my daughter is dead, then, eh? Oh, and I also don't know a thing about her. LOL

I know my child very well, and she's very much alive. We've been very tuned into each other since we stopped trying to breast feed, as that was actually causing problems for us. She thrived on sleeping between her father and I and I wouldn't change it for the world. My shoulder has been her favorite pillow since the day she was born. 

You actually did make me laugh out loud. So I'm going to run with the idea that that's what you were going for.

Quoting Randi02:

It is due to a couple of things: Bottle feeding mothers are less in tune to their sleeping babies, bottle fed babies are not naturally kept at breast level in the bed, and bottle fed babies do not instinctively keep their heads turned towards their mothers.

The baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, never another caregiver.

Quoting Emycf:

To the OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know it must be frustrating. I'm don't have any advice expect talk to the doctor.

Quoting Randi02:

This!

crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Gripe water, sounds like colic......

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Where did I say that? I said it's a risk factor, and it's not me who made that up.

When you breastfeed, hormones and chemicals are released that literally alter your state of mind (and sleep) and make you more in tune to any changes in your baby. It also helps sync your sleep cycle with baby's, and that has the same benefit.

I never said you don't know your child, but NOT breastfeeding and sleeping with an infant is similar to being impaired because there isn't that heightened sense. Just like sleeping with loose fluffy bedding, a soft mattress, being obese, smoking, having a sleep disorder, drinking/drugs, etc. are all other risk factors for co sleeping. It's up to you if you want to take those risks, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm not sure why you think it's funny. In a review of 2010 co sleeping deaths, ALL of the babies were bottle fed.

Quoting Emycf:

Wow. I guess according to you my daughter is dead, then, eh? Oh, and I also don't know a thing about her. LOL

I know my child very well, and she's very much alive. We've been very tuned into each other since we stopped trying to breast feed, as that was actually causing problems for us. She thrived on sleeping between her father and I and I wouldn't change it for the world. My shoulder has been her favorite pillow since the day she was born. 

You actually did make me laugh out loud. So I'm going to run with the idea that that's what you were going for.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting Emycf:

Quoting Randi02:

This!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN