Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Naps May Make You Die Prematurely - Are you a napper?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

Naps May Make You Die Prematurely

by Michele Zipp

napping catSome of us love naps. We need them to function. Sometimes we just get so tired that the toothpicks give out and a snooze is an absolute must. Or we partake in coffee and attempt to delay the inevitable slumber. Naps are a beautiful thing. Or so I thought. Napping is linked to an early death. It can kill us. Die. Dead. Gone. Game over. Adults who nap every day are two and a half times more likely to die before their "time."

This is the worst news ever. Is this study funded by those who pimp out caffeine? Or one of those energy drinks? I'm a napper. I nap so I can live! Not to die sooner!

I've been napping my whole life. I napped as a baby. I napped after class when I was in high school. And after I had kids, I napped when they napped. My kids are in school now and I still love a nap. If I don't nap or drink 387 cups of coffee, I tend to fade around 4 p.m. Napping makes me feel refreshed and ready to conquer the world! Until, of course, it's time to go to sleep again. Then bed. Wake. Coffee. Life. Nap. More coffee. More life. Sleep. DEATH?!?

This "fact" came about after researchers studied 16,000 British adults over 13 years. These Brits slept for an hour or more a day and they were nearly a third more likely to die prematurely. When the researchers went to check on their subjects, they were startled to find that so many of them had died.

After carefully looking into this, it was revealed that many of them had a lung disease. What? Does napping cause lung disease? Thankfully, no. It's believed that the lung disease made people want to nap more and triggered an inflammation in the body, which led to an early death. Okay, maybe I feel a little better. But out of these 16,000 people, why so many lung diseases?

The researchers did say that napping can be a sign there is a bigger issue with your health. So maybe have that checked out. But if you nap less than an hour a day, your life isn't expected to be cut short.

Are you a napper? What do you think of this study?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I don't unless I am sick or have not gotten much sleep.  If I get 7 hours of sleep I am good to go. 

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I became a napper. I used to flourish on 5hrs of sleep. Now no matter what I'm tired, but can't sleep more than 3hrs at a time :/
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM
When I go I go. I highly doubt it has something to do with me taking a nap or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I sometimes nap if the youngest takes one. I'm pregnant I think I have earned a few naps. 

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

heres the thing about this, i heard it on the radio, they read the actual study, and from what they read it sounds more like the naps bring out the underlying problems.  if you have a heart condition or a lung disease that can be exaserbated by rest, then yes you will not live as long, but if you are perfectly healthy, then naps will not harm you.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I work nights so that is all I get are naps.
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Yes I am, and I have some asthma.  I wouldn't say that napping is the cause of early death but rather a possible symptom of illness that may shorten a life.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Not really, maybe if my husband lets me sleep in, I get up and get the kids fed and go back to sleep about an hour after I get up. But never in the afternoon. 

shakesrear
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I really can't stand the intentional, sensational twist in the headline just to alarm people and make them read the article. But, people don't always read through the article, and so this just perpetuates misinformation. It happens all the time with popular reporting on scientific studies.

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I nap when pregnant or reallllllllly tired. Otherwise, no. I know people who cannot function without a nap.

Seems.kinda crazy that would have such an effect on your life. Or death.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN