Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Cow vs. Almond/Coconut milk... ??????

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm new! Hi ya :)

My LO is currently 2.5yrs... she was on organic whole milk from 1-2, then down to organic 2% at 2yrs. But, I've started "clean eating" whenever I can (not 100%, but more often then not) and have come to realize that just because it's "organic" doesn't mean it's free from un-natural and/or harmful ingredients.

Since 2% milk has additives (like all lower fat dairy does)- we thought whole was better, but it's too much fat. So I've been looking into other options- like Almond or Cocount. As they have similar amounts of calcium/fats. But, almost all are made with the additive 'Carrageenan' (thickening agent)- which is not healthy if consumed often-- according to newer studies.

I found an Almond/Cocunut mix in the organic section- and was thinking of trying that intead. It was the ONLY kind I could find without Carrageenan. 

Obviously I want to do what is best for my LO- I don't think milk is bad per say, if more in moderation- but she still loves it and drinks plenty daily. Although, she get's PLENTY of dairy in other forms. IDK-- There is so much info out there- so,today one thing is Ok, and tomorrow it's not! Like the egg... used to be bad, then ok, then just the yolk, now it's all ok again... LOL.

Anyone else go through this- thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

We don't do any dairy, or alternatives. My kids drink water :)

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Humans don't need dairy products to sustain us actually. It isn't digested well in most people's bodies anyway. 
We choose almond milk for our family and we all love it.  

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM
We use almond milk.
mom4awesomekids
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Almond milk
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I LOVE almond milk. Light kind

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
I make our own almond milk but we prefer cashew milk. Usually we just drink water.
Luludots37
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM
I used to give my family whole milk, but now we drink Almond and soy milk.
ZennMomma
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM
My son and I drink almond milk, we both had digestion issues, and I am just phlegmy, so cutting out dairy helped a lot.

Really you just need to research and try different things to find out what's best for your body, kids body etc. every body is different.
MonsterBear
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Thanks ladies... There is SO much information out there! I think I'll stick with the Almond/Coconut mix since it seems the better option- long as LO likes it. I'll just gradually change it up ;)

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Silk brand vanilla almond milk and Wegmans brand vanilla almond milk does not contain carrageenan but Silk coconut milk does. I buy both almond milk and coconut milk and rarely will buy cows milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN