Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

holy groceries, im poor!

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM
  • 5 Replies
Im young and new to this whole living on your own, budgetting thing.
My household consists of myself, my 13mo, and df.
We both work odd hours so we dont really have set meals or a meal time. I work evenings, so im not home for dinner. He works nights, so he sleeps through breakfast and lunch.
This means we really dont focus on buying food to make MEALS when we grocery shop, and we end up buying a whole lot of this and that, and small things to munch on throughout the day.

SOO! I need help. Realistically, how much should i be spending on groceries to feed the three of us? How can i better manage my grocery budget?
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Make a shopping list, meal plan, shop sales, use coupons. I've started using my crock pot to help with dinner.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM

What you can do is meal plan and make some meals ahead of time.  A crock pot would be a good investment and serve the 3 of you at least 2-3 meals.  There are thousands of recipes.  I would hope you are working towards working same shifts so there can be family meal times with the young child.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

The best thing to do if your budget is tight is check the grocery ads and don't buy anything that's not on sale, don't buy prepackaged convenience foods, use that crock pot you probably have, eat a little meat (that's on sale of course) but stretch it with whole grain pasta, beans, potatoes, eggs, or brown rice. Join the "Frugalistas" group, they can help you a LOT. I guess to answer your question I could feed the three of you for $10 a day. But, it takes careful planning and shopping.

allycally
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM
I'd say $300 a month
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM

My DH has turned into the "Coupon King". He does 99% of the shopping & cooking. He doesn't buy anything that he doesn't have a coupn for. Well, wait a sec. He does pay full price for fruits and vegetables but they are on sale when he buys them. Start a coupon book. He has one and saves a ton of money. Plus, look at local convenience or dollar store for paper products and cleaning supplies. Our Family Dollar had a gallon of milk for sale at $2.49. That is 1/2 price around here. Merita bread is $1.29 and it is not the stale bread. Look around to find sales and deals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)