Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My picky toddler is underweight

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  • 32 Replies
My 2 1/2 year old son weighs 26 lbs right now. He's so thin, it looks unhealthy :(
Getting him to eat often is like mission impossible. He mostly snacks throughout the day. If I give him a meal to eat he'll only take a few bites and then he's done. Not only that, but his taste pallet is extremely limited. The only things he ever wants to eat is pb&js, fruits, crackers, and cereal. He hates veggies, hates meats, and dislikes chicken. He'll eat chicken every once in a while and when he does, its only a couple of bites. I'm so frustrated. :(
His dr says he is underweight and needs to eat more proteins and healthy carbs but he seriously won't eat. Any helpful advice??
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a fan of 5-6 small meals. Not grazing- but sit down at breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.

Just keep offering variety. Things he likes with things that are new and just keep trucking. Gl. :)
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Give him more healthy fats...whole milk puddings, cottage cheeses, ice cream,  and buttered pasta...maybe if he 'assists' in helping to fix his foods, he'll have more interest.   

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Is he speaking yet? Many kids who have soeech issues also have oral motor delays. His mouth many not be giving him the right information about the food in his mouth.. It seems as if the food he likes to eat is all very high taste or crunchy.. Which gives his mouth a lot of feedback (or information) regarding what is in there... So build on what he already likes by continuing to find foos similar in taste or similar in texture for him to expand his palate. As he gets older, and his mouth gets stronger. (Please make sure he drinks with a straw-- it builds great muscles) he will expand to eat more... For now.. Try to "food chain" - which means, IF he eats PB and J see if he may try PB and banana, or Jelly and cream cheese... If he likes the cream cheese, then try to expand to a bagel. If he likes a bagel, see if you can expand to bagel pizza... Then pizza.. From chips try carrots, or salty buttery corn on the cob... Its a stretch.. Not a push.. And PLEASE, dont punish him.. Can you imagine how confusing it is for some kids with oral motor delays to know they cant do better.. And get punished for it?! Its just a delay in his mouth,, he will get there with love and compassion... 

If your intersted at your local library you can find "just take a bite" and "food chanining" helpful books on helping your child with food. 

Best of luck to you and your little one

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I just want to add, meats and proteins are the hardest thing for the mouth to manipulate. :) 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a typical toddler. All my kids were small.
CrimsonGrace
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like typical toddler to me, but if you are concerned about it, try pediasure sidekicks (like a juice box) or the regular pediasure (like flavored milk) just be sure to follow the instructions on how many he can have. They do contain a small amount of iron, so you don't want them to have more than 1-2 a day depending on age.
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Meats are difficult.  My dd doesn't like most meat because she says she can't chew it very well (and she's 4.5 years old).  What about eggs or Greek yogurt (Greek yogurt is much higher in protein then regular yogurt)?  Cheese?  Tofu?  Those are all great sources of protein.

crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My ds is 3 and the only meats he really enjoys are chicken and pork, He just started to nibble on beef when its served. Just keep trying different foods, If you can put him back on whole milk and maybe make puddings and shakes.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Don't let him snack at all unless they are healthy. He is getting empty calories. Keep giving him healthy choices. Slip yogurt and fruit in smoothies. Of course he won't eat healthy if he gets his way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaandcookies
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

remove all comfort foods. peroid.  he may not want to eat for a day or two, but he will eventually.  Only offer water during the day, milk after dinner only.  Not snacks or meals unless they are at the table, make a food chart, wit three meals and three small snacks, like three orange wedges and 1/4 a bagel.  Let him know this is when we eat this is what we are eating.  If he doesnt dont worry, fret or plead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN