Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is my son OCD?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 5 year old gets totally fixated on things that aren't perfect to the point he has a physical reaction. For example, we cut his hair into a faux hawk because he wanted one, but he can't wear it that way because he can't stop obsessing over if it is perfectly straight/standing up. Another example, he was hiding in the closet to scare my husband and I went over and opened it, which exposed him so my husband wasn't startled at all. He was soooo upset he was actually hyper-ventilating. He wanted to start over so it could happen right but my husband said no because he doesn't get what he wants by throwing a fit. It was literally half an hour later when my son had stopped crying and had moved on (so I thought) when he asked me if tomorrow we can do it again right. He also said that his heart was still thumping, but he was glad the rest of his body finally felt better. Woah. Last example: he asked my husband to write his name on the tag of his stuffed animal. Apparently my husband wrote it upside down and my son was so upset about it he finally asked my husband to just cut the tag off. This was last night. This morning after he woke up he asked me if we could buy another one and I could write his name on the tag the right way. How could he still be obsessing over it 12 hours later, even after sleeping? He's also always the last kid finished with projects, etc. because he is trying so hard to make everything perfect.

Is this normal behavior?

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
leeshuh
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

bump!

shakesrear
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I don't think he necessarily has a disorder. He sounds like he just doesn't have any control in his life. He needs to get what he wants sometimes. He needs to feel powerful. Give him opportunities to be the one in control, in a playful way. 

leeshuh
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM

That's actually a very interesting idea. Maybe if I can help him to feel in control some of the time he will learn to go with the flow a little more at other times.

Quoting shakesrear:

I don't think he necessarily has a disorder. He sounds like he just doesn't have any control in his life. He needs to get what he wants sometimes. He needs to feel powerful. Give him opportunities to be the one in control, in a playful way. 

shakesrear
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Exactly. If you're interested, read the book Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen. He gives compelling reasons for playing with your child and lots of practical advice on how to do it.

There's also the wonderful Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort which also gives great advice on how to deal with children acting out.

Quoting leeshuh:

That's actually a very interesting idea. Maybe if I can help him to feel in control some of the time he will learn to go with the flow a little more at other times.

Quoting shakesrear:

leeshuh
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the suggestions! Off to the library I go. =)

Quoting shakesrear:

Exactly. If you're interested, read the book Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen. He gives compelling reasons for playing with your child and lots of practical advice on how to do it.

There's also the wonderful Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort which also gives great advice on how to deal with children acting out.

Quoting leeshuh:

Quoting shakesrear:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN