Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

nightmare or nightterror??

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM
  • 22 Replies

Has anyone ever dealt with their toddler having nightmares or night terrors?Can anyone tell me how the child acted?MY 2 year old son was asleep and started soft crying then was inconsolable and never would wake up just cried and then layed back down and it was as if nothing ever happened...

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM

That sounds more like a night terror. A nightmare is a bad dream and typically they will remember it, and will wake up from it scared or frightened. A night terror is a state between half awake and half asleep where they are basically confused and not realizing where they are or what is going on because they can't distinguish what is going on because they are still asleep, but can kind of realize things are going on around them. They generally cry or scream because it's scary and confusing. The only thing I have ever been able to do to bring DS out of it was to give him a cup of something to drink to wake him up from the state, then get him back to sleep. 

Momto2Nhappy
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Thats kind of what i was thinking too ....i hope its not regular  cause i felt so bad i couldnt do anything to help him

Quoting Momto2Nhappy:

Has anyone ever dealt with their toddler having nightmares or night terrors?Can anyone tell me how the child acted?MY 2 year old son was asleep and started soft crying then was inconsolable and never would wake up just cried and then layed back down and it was as if nothing ever happened...

SFLMom33
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM
My tot has night terrors - and yours sounds like it may be. If it becomes regular, chart when it's happening - they typically happen about 45 min to an hour after the child falls asleep (or when they drift into deep sleep during the night). If your child is having bad episodes (mine went through a really rough period but seems to be growing out of them already), try lightly rousing him just before you expect an onset - shift his position or otherwise gently wake him just enough to shift the sleep cycle but not so that you have to go through the bedtime routine again. I didn't understand it - but it worked for my son (I did it for a week or two at about 30 minutes in, and he rarely had an episode). It's stressful - I hope yours grows out of it quickly too!
Momto2Nhappy
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Thank you!!I :)

Quoting SFLMom33: My tot has night terrors - and yours sounds like it may be. If it becomes regular, chart when it's happening - they typically happen about 45 min to an hour after the child falls asleep (or when they drift into deep sleep during the night). If your child is having bad episodes (mine went through a really rough period but seems to be growing out of them already), try lightly rousing him just before you expect an onset - shift his position or otherwise gently wake him just enough to shift the sleep cycle but not so that you have to go through the bedtime routine again. I didn't understand it - but it worked for my son (I did it for a week or two at about 30 minutes in, and he rarely had an episode). It's stressful - I hope yours grows out of it quickly too!

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My son went through that and all you can do is console and make sure they don't fall out of bed or anything. He eventually grew out of it.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

My nephew had the night terrors.He has outgrown them

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM

That was our 18 yr old twins. I just hug them and told them it was ok. I would stay with them until they settled themselves.

Roksolana84
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM

My son had night terrors when he was 2,5. He would scream loudly for 10 min or so and then go back to sleep and there was nothing we could do about it. We tried to wake him up so he would stop screaming because we lived in an apartment complex at that time and it didn't work at all.

Did something change in your sons life in the last few month or so? My son started night terrors because we moved and he started sleeping in the new bed in a new place, plus he started going to day care too.

Rebirth0112
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Sounds like night terrors. My ds5 still has them. It is soooooo freaky sometimes! He will get up out of bed crying and just walking around but still asleep. The worst one was a while back he got up, and came in the living room where we were. We knew he was having a night terror so we were gently trying to console him but he just kept screaming "mommy!!! Mommy!! Where are you, please help me!!". Those are the hardest because they are calling out for you and even though you know they are asleep you just want to console them:( Something I do when his nightterrors are very bad is take 1 or 2 mini semi sweet choco chips and put them in his mouth, it helps to wake him up in a gentle way. I guess the sensation of something in his mouth and being sweet triggers his body to "wake up"
Hapsand123
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM

AWWW, yeah no night terrors here. My son has had nightmares a few times in the past. I just let him tell me about it while he lays with me and then usually he falls asleep cuz I have already fallin back asleep. lol. So he sleeps with me. But he is almost 7 and has only had them maybe a hand full of time his whole life. And I think some of them were fake just cuz he knew I would let him sleep in my bed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)