Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How long did you wait?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM
  • 109 Replies

How long did you wait before trying for a second child? We had originally decided that we didn't want to have our second until our first was 2 yrs old. But lately, we've both been kinda feeling like maybe we're ready for our second. Our first is 9 months old. It didn't take much to get pregnant the first time, so I know it won't take long the second time around. (I have very fertile genes.) I do know that she would be around 1.5 yrs old when our second would be born, so it's not like it's far off from the 2 yrs that we had talked about. 

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trish2tew
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

We weren't actively trying for #2. I just felt kinda off and tested 1 week after DD#1's bday. Got a BFP.

prov31woman424
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

We had originally talked about waiting till the end of the year before we started trying again, but I don't know. I'm starting to get that "I want to have a baby" feeling. Ha.

Quoting trish2tew:

We weren't actively trying for #2. I just felt kinda off and tested 1 week after DD#1's bday. Got a BFP.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM
We waited five years. But we had some things that kept is from trying earlier even though we wanted another child.
SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 9:28 AM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM
We're one and done. If we would have wanted a second, though, I think we would have just banged one out right away. My brother and I are 7 years apart, and even though we're close, I would have wanted a very slight age gap between my kids.
trish2tew
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Quoting prov31woman424:

We had originally talked about waiting till the end of the year before we started trying again, but I don't know. I'm starting to get that "I want to have a baby" feeling. Ha.

Quoting trish2tew:

The more time you give your body to recover from having a baby, the better. The spacing for our girls/boy are good but trying for us. There are days they get along great, and there are others where they fight like cats and dogs. And usually when DD#1 is outgrowing clothes, DD#2 is in them soon after.

prov31woman424
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM

My older brother and I are only 18 months apart. My younger brother is 5 years younger than me though. I have a very good bond with him, but he and my older brother don't because they are so far apart. We definitely don't want that for our kids. Which is why we had talked about spacing it out about every 2 yrs. But now that we have one, I think we're changing our minds about waiting that long. Plus, my husband is basically an only child. His sister has a mental illness (she was hurt as an infant) so he was basically alone growing up. He wants our kids to have siblings around their age so they can always have someone.

prov31woman424
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Very true about the body thing. My body isn't far off from what it was pre-pregnancy. I have been blessed. 

Quoting trish2tew:

Quoting prov31woman424:

Quoting trish2tew:

The more time you give your body to recover from having a baby, the better. The spacing for our girls/boy are good but trying for us. There are days they get along great, and there are others where they fight like cats and dogs. And usually when DD#1 is outgrowing clothes, DD#2 is in them soon after.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM

We started trying as soon as my period returned (ds was 11 months at the time.) I'm getting dangerously close to that "advanced maternal age" label, and would like to avoid it.

With ds, we got pregnant on the first try. We've been actively trying for nearly six months (basal body temp, OPK strips, all that jazz), and no results yet. Just because it was easy the first time, doesn't mean it will happen right away the second.

prov31woman424
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I'm only 26, so I have a few of those "prime pregnancy" years left. I know it could take longer this time. I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't. 

I'm sorry it's taking a while for you! I hope you get a positive test soon!

Quoting illogicalkat:

We started trying as soon as my period returned (ds was 11 months at the time.) I'm getting dangerously close to that "advanced maternal age" label, and would like to avoid it.

With ds, we got pregnant on the first try. We've been actively trying for nearly six months (basal body temp, OPK strips, all that jazz), and no results yet. Just because it was easy the first time, doesn't mean it will happen right away the second.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

We were fine with one.  We went through a fertility clinic to be able to get DD.  We didn't want to go through all that stress a second time with a baby in tow.  When she was about 13 months, she and I were not feeling great.  Her doctor said something was going around.  When she got better and I still felt 'off'(no regular cycle, but that is why we went the fertility route the first time), I got a blood test done(HPTs never worked for me) and was pregnant with second.  DD was 21(almost 22) months when DS was born.  

Sorry for the wrong story, but I thought some back story was needed for this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)