Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How should I discipline my 4 year old?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, Im new to this group so sorry if i drag on =]

I have a 4 year old that (im sorry to say) but stresses me out everyday. I also have a 2 year old and im not sure if its reacting to me taking care of my 2 year old or what it is. Every morning she wakes up and immediatly starts acting up. sometimes i can't even be in the kitchen making breakfast without coming out about 20 times before i even make a bowl of cereal. ive tried puting her in time out, taking toys away from her, taking tv away, and even taking some play time away from her. im to the point of not knowing what else to do about it. ive mentioned it to my mom and mother-in-law and they just say shes just acting like a normal 4 year old, but then i have friends that have 4 year olds or older and that have other children as well and they mention to me that i need to take her to the dr to get checked for possible ADHD (which wouldn't suprise me). Could this have anything to do with me being a teen mom and not knowing how to discipline her in the first place?? and how do i kick it in the butt now??

Thanks!!!

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM

How is she "acting up"?

kparrack
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

she is hitting me and her sister, she doesn't listen to anything i say to her, and she has never done it before but she draws on everything, she will somehow find nail polish (which is now up) and smear it everywhere and shes even snuck things home from her grandparents like sharpies and diffrent perement items and either ruined things (like the couch and her bed) or used them on the wall.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Yes please be more specific for how she is acting up?  Some of it could be her energy. of get up and ready to go.  IF that is the case, you need to have both children engage in an activity that keeps their minds and bodies busy while you prepare meals.  Heck put on lively music (preschool appropriate) and have them dance crazy to get the wake up "ants" out.    Be consistent .  Choose a consequence and stick to it.   I would do a time out for 4-5 minutes.  Truthfully I would need to see in you person interact with them to offer really good advice.  

I have a high energy 8 yr old - no adhd- and there are days it is a struggle to keep her stimulated at home that she does not purposely go against house rules.   Her consequence is time out or losing technology privilege.

kparrack
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I can't even take her anywhere (not even the park) because she doesn't listen to me. when we go to the store i get a cart that i can put both kids in and she can get her self out. i dont know how to get her to listen to me, my 2 year old will but she won't

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Do you clearly tell her the rules of where you are going?  You start this at home before even getting in car.   "we are going to the store now to pick up food, I need you to listen to mommy at all times and stay with the cart".   When you get to store you once again tell her the expectations of behavior.  Are you prepared to do a 4 min time out at the store if need be?

The same goes for going to park.  You give her the rules of being there and then follow through with a time out or immediate leaving to go home.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

The getting into things is completely normal for kiddos. 
If she is unsurpervised she will probably get into something or "act up".

If she does make a mess, make her help clean it up.
Praise her for behaving when she has small moments of being good on her own for a second while you are out of the room.

Quoting kparrack:

she is hitting me and her sister, she doesn't listen to anything i say to her, and she has never done it before but she draws on everything, she will somehow find nail polish (which is now up) and smear it everywhere and shes even snuck things home from her grandparents like sharpies and diffrent perement items and either ruined things (like the couch and her bed) or used them on the wall.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Why don't you have her help you make breakfast?
How is she acting out?

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:44 PM
She sounds a little bored. What activities do you do together during the day? Have you tried rewarding the positive instead of only punishing the negative? Saying things like "I love how quietly you are sitting. Great job!"
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Consistant discipline. Reward positive and punish negative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)