Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How can I pay for college without taking out a loan?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 32 Replies
I would like to go back to school. The problem is the first time I didn't really know what I was getting myself into and now I have unpaid student loans. I have not been able pay all of them off yet. I would like to go back to school but I do not want the loans hanging over my head. If anyone knows how I might be able to go back without using loans I would appreciate the info. I just cannot seem to find the info I am looking for online. Thank you.
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you at least get them current?  If so, you can defer them once you're back in school.  Other than saving up money and going as you're able to pay for classes, I don't have any suggestions.

Good luck!

Firenygirl180
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Scholarships. Search for them online. Talk to the school see what's out there
katiebug840204
by Katie on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Scholarships! I qualified for Pell grant. It paid for all my schooling.
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Quoting katiebug840204: Scholarships! I qualified for Pell grant. It paid for all my schooling.

She may not be eligible for Pell grant if her loans are in default.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

CrstlChstn79
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Not been able to bring them current. I stay home with my 3 babies now and their daddy doesn't make enough to help out with those. Been having a hard time with money since we have been together which is part of the reason I want to go back.

Quoting lwalker270:

Can you at least get them current?  If so, you can defer them once you're back in school.  Other than saving up money and going as you're able to pay for classes, I don't have any suggestions.

Good luck!

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
You may be able to get scholarships, you would probably have to go talk with the school to see if they have any available.
You could just take whatever you can afford to pay for cash. Even if its one class, one class is still one class/one step closer to a degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 3:40 AM
Scholarships or tuition assistance/reimbursement through work
mitty75
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:47 AM

The only thing I can think of would be schloarships &/or pell grants if you are able to get those.  Like another poster said if you are in default, you might not be able to get a Pell.  Try schloarships.com and see what you can find out.  Other than taking out a loan or paying as you go, there's really nothing you can do.  Talk to the company that holds your orig. loan and makes sure you are not in default, if you are not in default, you can get another loan.  Remember there is a cap on undergrad, this includes an Associates.  Grad school qualifies you for more money.  Another thing to do is to talk to the financial aid department at the school you want to attend, be careful of online schools like University of Pheonix, I hear that some employers do not accept their degrees.  Where do you want to go to school at and what do you want to major in?

prettygirl326
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

scholarships or financial aid. 

CrstlChstn79
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:14 AM
I always check the accreditation of the school before I decide to go. I am only requesting info right now. I am interested in getting at least a masters in mathematics.

I have looked at scholarships.com and still looking for other sources also. Thank you for your help.

Quoting mitty75:

The only thing I can think of would be schloarships &/or pell grants if you are able to get those.  Like another poster said if you are in default, you might not be able to get a Pell.  Try schloarships.com and see what you can find out.  Other than taking out a loan or paying as you go, there's really nothing you can do.  Talk to the company that holds your orig. loan and makes sure you are not in default, if you are not in default, you can get another loan.  Remember there is a cap on undergrad, this includes an Associates.  Grad school qualifies you for more money.  Another thing to do is to talk to the financial aid department at the school you want to attend, be careful of online schools like University of Pheonix, I hear that some employers do not accept their degrees.  Where do you want to go to school at and what do you want to major in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN