Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

SPANKING IS USELESS?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 190 Replies
1 mom liked this

Kids Misbehave Less Than 10 Minutes After a Spanking (STUDY)

If you do spank your kids, new research published online in the current issue of the Journal of Family Psychology shows that your kids may not be learning from it.

Parenting experts at Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas used real-time audio recordings in 33 family homes over the course of four to six evenings to capture parents' interactions with their kids.

Researchers found that parents often spank their kids for menial offenses (like getting out of a chair or going outside without permission) — and kids on average misbehaved again within 10 minutes of being punished.

The study also revealed that: In 49 percent of the incidents, the parent-in-charge sounded angry prior to hitting or spanking

On average, less than 30 seconds elapsed from the time parents first engaged in "nonviolent" discipline to when they used corporal punishment In 30 of the 41 spankings, kids misbehaved within 10 minutes of the physical punishment

The recordings also caught one mom hitting her child 11 times in a row; the youngest child hit was seven months old.

In a release from the university, researchers said their audio clips show that in most cases of corporal punishment, parents fail to follow the "responsible spanking guidelines" often cited by pro-spanking advocates. That means contrary to the group's recommendations, parents were often angry when they hit their kids, they didn't spank as a last resort, and they spanked for insignificant transgressions, not gross misconduct.

Kids Misbehave Less Than 10 Minutes After a Spanking (STUDY)

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Okay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samann818
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I would never spank a child under two!!! EVER and even then when I did 'spank' my two year old it was a light pop on the butt....a parent should never spank their child out of anger. I learned quickly spankings didn't work for my child...time out worked better...but for many kids spanking work better I know when I was a kid a spanking sure worked for me!!! Just saying....

Emycf
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
9 moms liked this

I do not consider going outside or getting out of the car without permission to be menial offenses. I consider those to be serious safety risks. And if I ever was going to spank my kids, it would be because of a safety issue. And, yes, if my kid who was old enough to know better was putting themselves in danger by ignoring the house rules I'd be angry.

Also - who the hell hits a 7 month old?!

Edit: Someone has just pointed out to me that the article says "getting out a of chair" not "getting out of a car".

booaura
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this
I would never hit a child, no matter the age or reason. This study doesn't surprise me. Hitting a child is a crappy way to parent and basically boils down to not being able to react in any way but violent towards your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't get past someone hitting a 7 month old....just wow!

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM
7 months old is way to young
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We spank but at 7 months? That is just scary that someone thinks that is even ok. Hell we just for the first time swatted our 18 month old on the rear end about 2 weeks ago.

Emycf
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Sorry, I'm still stuck on some one hitting a 7 month old. That is abuse. They should have reported it.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Hitting 7 month old? Really?!?
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this
We don't spank. We get creative. Much better and very effective. Why would I hit my children? I tell them all the time we don't
Hit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN