Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How much should I charge?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am going to help a friend out by watching her kids for her. She is starting a new job and does not have childcare, nor can she afford daycare. She has a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. I will most likely be watching them from 7:30am to 6pm. I will only be watching them until she gets her childcare assistance. I watched a boy for a friend a couple years ago. He was 10 months when I started watching him and 2 1/2 when we moved away. She paid me $100 a week to watch him 40 hours a week. She later started giving me an extra $2 a day for feeding him as well.

I am lost on what to charge now though. Last time I was in RI and this time I am in TX. My friend last time was single and had a great paying job. She could afford daycare, but was not comfortable with it. My friend this time is married, but neither her or her husband have good paying jobs. They recently moved in with her mom to save money. What would you charge?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:36 PM
If your doing it to help I would charge a lot less im not good at charging friends I make $100 week full time kids maybe $100 or so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Paying for childcare is pretty much what people have to do these days if they want a job, unless they can make other arrangements. There are advantages to having a job even if the person must pay child care- benefits, making contacts, being in the job market. So don't feel that she is losing the money that she pays you, she is getting benefits by having a job. Having said this, How about at least $125 a week. Try to find out what childcare costs in your area.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM
3 moms liked this
If they really can't afford it then I would help for free if they were really good friends and it is temporary. I would tell her that she needed to provide meals or bring groceries/give $ for food for the week. If you feel they can afford something then about $100 a week
trish2tew
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are willing to watch the kids for $125, then do that or ask for a little more. And it depends on how many hours you are watching them.

We live in Dallas, and have the mom of a boy in DD#1's kindergarten(was in pre-k together) class $160/week to watch 2.5y DS and 4y DD#2 from 7-2:30ish 4 days a week when DH and I are both at work. She gets paid extra if I need to work OT.

leeshuh
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends how generous you want to be. If it's just for a few weeks and it were me, I might do it for free. That depends on your financial situation though. Do you really need extra money, or is it not a big deal for you? I pay $1000/month for two boys in full time daycare at a center. I would think you'd be pretty nice to only charge her $100/week, but I doubt if they can even afford that much.

mommiof3bois
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM
I babysit nd get paid $40 a day.. from 9am til 6 I care for a 2yr old and 7month old.....but if she's a realli good and close friend I would charge $20a day
IKatchSkams
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Did you agree to help out and watch her kids without mentioning a fee??? Does she maybe think you are being a great friend and doing it for nothing??? Here is what I did for my sil and her two young children. They couldn't really do diddly squat for me financially and I didn't expect it. As long as she had food in the house so I could cook (what a concept because she never, ever cooked anything); I would do it. I stayed one week at their house with a 5yr old and a 2-1/2yr old. They had just gotten the chance of a lifetime to go on an "all expense paid" trip to San Diego with friends and not much time to plan for it. I thought it would be fun and I was in between jobs and this was my ex's sister. There were some melt downs that first night...the fright night. But by morning they were little chatterboxes and they helped me in the kitchen. That was great fun for them because they had never done that before AND they got to eat what they prepared - what a concept!

This could be tricky if you agreed but never mentioned a fee. What do you think is appropriate and if she can't pay you much or nothing at all, is that a hardship for you??? Are you going to be declaring this on your taxes as "extra income", if she pays you? If she can pay you, I agree with others who have mentioned $100/week but to be paid on a weekly basis so the bill or fee doesn't grow out of hand or mount up too much. I have known women who really took the cake when it came to paying their sitters. It was called "NO PAYMENT" siting ridiculous reasons and letting the sitters go...week after week after week. I stayed far away from this person.
christina122952
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Maybe 50 or 100. Can't the state help childcare? I know here in Nevada they have a program to help pay for childcare.
EMArmstrong
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
If it's only temporary and she is a good friend, I would probably do it for free, as long as she pays for food, diapers, etc. As was mentioned already, it also depends on how you offered to watch her kids. If you didn't mention payment, it could be quite awkward to bring it up now, as she may have thought you were not going to charge her.
robbinsroost
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Thanks for the replies!

She is not a close friend. We go to church together. We are in the same Sunday School class and she comes to our house for Life Group on Sunday night. She was expecting to pay me and had asked me how much. I went ahead and told her $25 a day or $125 a week for both boys. Not sure how long it will take for her to get childcare assistance, but know she can not get it until she is hired. She got 2 job offers yesterday, so she should be working any day now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)