Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Paragard? I want the good, bad, and ugly!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 43 Replies

I am looking into getting the Paragard IUD. I can't do the Mirena because it's hormonal, an I can't do estrogen based birth control because of Migraines with aura. It will put me at higher risk for stroke, so my doctor has me on a progestin only pill right now, and my only other progestin only option is the depo shot, which I've heard only bad things about so I want to avoid if possible. I'm pretty sure we don't want any more kids. We have a son together who just turned 3, and he has an 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage, who due to a very tragic and traumatic turn of events where her mother was killed, is now living with us full time as well. We've talked before and said we were pretty sure we don't want more kids, but I am not quite ready to take the step to get my tubes tied. I love children, and I would eventually like more even though he says right now he doesn't. I do respect his wants and wishes, but I'm not ready to make such a final decision at 27 years old that I  never want another child. So my option now is to continue with the pill, which is getting harder and harder to remember to take every day, much less on time (yes I set an alarm on my phone, If I am doing something else at the time, I tend to shut it off and finish what I'm doing then forget to take it after, especiall if it is while I'm working) 

Or to get the Paragard IUD. I've always been a bit scared of having something inserted into my body to leave there for years at a time, so  would definitely like to hear from other's who have used this method of birth control. Was it effective for you? did anyone have it fail and what was the outcome? Any negative side effects? Severe infections? I want to hear everything, from real people who have used it, and not just what I read on the website about it. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Bump!

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

No one? 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Bump!

-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I've had mine for 4 years.  No complaints.  No pregnancies.  Heavy period for the first two months but then it tapered off. Normal periods now. No infections.  It's like it's not even there.  Hurt a bit to have it put in but that pain is only for about 45 seconds to a minute.  Just take 600 mg of Motrin before you have it put in, but your ob will probably tell you that.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I read about the heavy periods for a couple months, I'm use to that anyway so that's not a huge deal to me. Is it difficult to feel for the string? 

Quoting -PB:

I've had mine for 4 years.  No complaints.  No pregnancies.  Heavy period for the first two months but then it tapered off. Normal periods now. No infections.  It's like it's not even there.  Hurt a bit to have it put in but that pain is only for about 45 seconds to a minute.  Just take 600 mg of Motrin before you have it put in, but your ob will probably tell you that.

-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I can't reach mine because I have a high uterus and my doc trimmed mine pretty short.  When I say high, I mean they could not tell if I was dilated when I was pregnant without getting the tools out because they couldn't reach my cervix.  But my doc tells me it's in the right place and not to worry to much about it.

Quoting aurora.dove:

I read about the heavy periods for a couple months, I'm use to that anyway so that's not a huge deal to me. Is it difficult to feel for the string? 

Quoting -PB:

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a high uterus as well and small hands, with short fingers so was concerned about that lol. Thanks for the input! 

Quoting -PB:

I can't reach mine because I have a high uterus and my doc trimmed mine pretty short.  When I say high, I mean they could not tell if I was dilated when I was pregnant without getting the tools out because they couldn't reach my cervix.  But my doc tells me it's in the right place and not to worry to much about it.

Quoting aurora.dove:

Quoting -PB:

facethetruth2b
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I loved the depo shot. Stopped my periods and all. Never had to worry about getting pregnant and didn't. Did not concieve til almost a year later .. I loved it.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Really? Most other people I've heard talk about it have said they bled non stop the whole time they were on it, and gained a bunch of weight that they couldn't keep off while they were on it. 

Quoting facethetruth2b: I loved the depo shot. Stopped my periods and all. Never had to worry about getting pregnant and didn't. Did not concieve til almost a year later .. I loved it.

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved mine. No problems here at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)