Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Please help a sincerly exhausted mother...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM
  • 23 Replies

Okay, so my son is 5 weeks old.. and NOTHING satisfys him. We try eating, burping, changing, talking, laying him down, EVERYTHING! Any advice on calming a cranky baby?

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Do you swaddle him?  Wear him?  Use a binky?  Are you breastfeeding? 

lexxidaawn
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I am not breastfeeding, we tried swaddleing him and he fights his way out of it and the binky he just spits out.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well...it could just be how he is.  I suspect though that it could be that the formula he's on is hurting him.  It could also be his feeding schedule.  Formula is very hard on infants tummies and it's hard to digest.  Small feedings, more often are better all around.

Quoting lexxidaawn:

I am not breastfeeding, we tried swaddleing him and he fights his way out of it and the binky he just spits out.

glynch
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM
My dd was the same way. Even in the nursery at the hospital she would kick her way out of the swaddling. The nurse just smile and said she has strong legs. We finally found she loved, loved her bouncy seat. That was one of my happiest days. Lol. Just keep trying different things until you fine what he loves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

How do you lay him down for bed?

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I would also go out and invest in a Boba Wrap or a Moby Wrap. It's his job to be right next to you.  If I couldn't have worn my newborns, I would have gone crazy.

lexxidaawn
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I lay him down on his back. He just starts crying almost instantly. Also he is getting 2 oz every two hours. Its Enfamill Newborn is there a better brand that will be easier on his tummy? He's in his bouncy seat as we speak and still fussing... at least its not screaming!

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Does he calm down when you hold him?  How soon after he falls asleep do you lay him down?  Up until about 4 months or so, infants do not fall into a deep sleep immediately like older children and adults do. 

Try this.  When it's time to feed him and put him to bed, swaddle him up nice and tight, feed him while he's swaddled, burp him if you can.  Hopefully he'll fall asleep while eating.  Then hold him for 10-20 minutes longer to ensure that he gets into that deep sleep pattern. Then put him down if you want/need to.  My kids NEVER slept flat on their backs though.  Not until 3+ months old.  They always slept in a bouncer or a swing.  It isn't natural for them to be flat out on their backs, so it wakes them up.

I can't recommend a formula as I've never used any, but I have heard that in the early months, they premade liquid is better.

Quoting lexxidaawn:

I lay him down on his back. He just starts crying almost instantly. Also he is getting 2 oz every two hours. Its Enfamill Newborn is there a better brand that will be easier on his tummy? He's in his bouncy seat as we speak and still fussing... at least its not screaming!

ladybugchar
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Put one of your shirts in his bed with him. One you have worn recently. Maybe he can't smell mommy when you lay him down and that scares him.

Have you tried giving him gas meds? Maybe have some soft music playing when you lay him down? Does he like a swing? My niece would only sleep in her stroller for the longest time. My sister would put her in it and just walk back and forth in the house until she fell asleep. It is worth a try. Is the formula at the right temp?

I wish you luck! I'm sure you have tried some of these but I'm just trying to give you ideas.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:06 AM
I would try upping it to 3-4 oz and see if he takes it. 4oz is about average at 1 month old.

Quoting lexxidaawn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)