Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Peanut allergy question

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM
  • 21 Replies
Hello all, my son is 23 months old. My Peditrician said to wait to give him peanut butter until age 3. My nephew was allergic for years & recently grew out of it. A friend of mine suggested putting peanut butter on his arm & seeing if his skin has a reaction. If it doesn't he's not allergic. Has anyone ever heard or done this? I want to give him peanut butter but scared too. He has had other foods that were touching / or near nuts & never had an issue . Also if I were to give it to him & he was allergic, a reaction would happen instantly right? Not in hours? I appreciate your thoughts.
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I would just give him a tiny taste like on the end of a toothpick.  Why is ped wanting to wait?  I have heard recently that if you expose the child sooner to certain foods, it decreases the risk of allergies.

christina122952
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Give him a little bit to see what happens and reactions happen fast.
crazy4u49033
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM
My sons reaction took 20 minutes.
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

 I would put it on his arm and see what happens.  If he doesn't have a reaction that doesn't necessarily mean he is not allergic because his allergy could be less severe.  If his skin breaks out you can put cortisone cream on it.

If you decide to go ahead and give him some to eat, give him less than half of a pea sized amount.  Just a very tiny bit.  If he has a severe reaction, it will happen within about an hour or so.  Less severe (like digestive) of course could be longer.

Have you asked the ped about skin testing with an allergist?  He is still a little young so they might not want to do it.  My dd was tested at 3 years old (she is severely allergic to cashews and pistachios).  Wouldn't hurt to ask and because of the family history of peanut allergy they might give the ok.

BeccaWooten
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM
My ds has a food allergy but we have no clue as to what foods. After skin and blood testing we have no answers but his breakouts were severe. His body was covered in hives and I was calm and okay with just a outter body reaction. I had a close eye on him counting respirations and then when he started coughing and lips started swelling I took off to the er with him.

I think would do the skin test like listed above and just see what happens. Breakouts don't scare me to bad so I would just do what you feel comfortable with so IF he does have a reaction you aren't overwhelmed
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:06 AM
My son tried a tiny bit at 1. He broke out in a rash and threw up. He can eat it now with no problems. He is 5
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM

 He is really lucky.  9 out of 10 children who have nut allergies never grow out of them.

Quoting a_and_j_momma: My son tried a tiny bit at 1. He broke out in a rash and threw up. He can eat it now with no problems. He is 5

 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Mine ate it before 2 and I am allergic to it, but I eat it ok because of allergy shots.  It never dawned on me 20 years ago to wait to feed peanut butter.  I was never scared. 

vamaria
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember that kids can be allergic to peanuts but not tree nuts, or be fine with whole peanuts but react to peanut butter. This is an instance where I would not risk it, and just head straight to an allergist.

-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yes!!!! My dd can eat peanuts all day long but she touches a cashew and blows up like a blimp.  Not being allergic to one nut doesn't mean no nut allergies at all. 

Quoting vamaria:

Remember that kids can be allergic to peanuts but not tree nuts, or be fine with whole peanuts but react to peanut butter. This is an instance where I would not risk it, and just head straight to an allergist.

 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN