Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Constant whining and crying!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

My lo is 16mo old now and I feel like we've hit the terrible two's.  She whines about EVERYTHING!  OMG.  I'm about to loose it sometimes because I can't take this crap.  Some days are good and some are terrible.  I try not to give in and do everything in my power to distract, but often find myself getting to the point where I just don't know what to do anymore.  I've even put her in her crib for a time out because I just can't handle it anymore.  I try to get her to tell me what's wrong (she doesn't speak much) but she is also confused.  How can I help her?  What do you do?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Don't pay attention to her when she whines.  Ignore and tell her to talk in a normal tone.  Is she talking at all though? 

emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM

try teaching her to 'sign' what she wants...it may ease her communication frustration

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM
It's probably from her frustration with trying to communicate. I taught signs to my kids.
BeccaWooten
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Oh I feel your pain. My kids just out grew that stage a few months ago. There were days I would just go shower to try and get a few minutes of peace. It does get better but then they come up with something new to drive you insane with.

I just never gave into the crying. I would get on their level and look eye to eye and tell them as soon as they calmed down we would get what they are needing. Its still a battle some days but it does get slightly better over time.
mumsmusingmind
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM

She is starting to say a few words, maybe up to like 10-15 words now.  She does sign and understands a LOT of what we say.  I've tried to get on her level, but she just cries more and it makes it worse.  I know she's frustrated, but I literally can't figure it out sometimes.  I can give her EVERYTHING that she's pointing at, but it doesn't work.  The only thing that works best is to talk to her calmly and hold her or give her the binky which I really don't want to do or distract her with something else.  I'm just getting tired of the game she's playing and was hoping for some advise.  I don't want to just give her everything, I want her to know that I care that she's upset or frustrated, and I want to help her.  She gets to the point where she'll throw herself on the floor or scream at the top of her lungs in time out.  We usually let her have her fit to a point, but after 5 - 10 minutes and she's still not calmed down are the ones we are having trouble with.  

mumsmusingmind
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM

We tell her that crying and whining aren't ways to ask for things and don't give her something until she cals down.  She knows that signing or saying pleasee is asking nicely for something.  It doesn't phase her, the fits continue.

Quoting atlmom2:

Don't pay attention to her when she whines.  Ignore and tell her to talk in a normal tone.  Is she talking at all though? 

New mommy blogger!  Recipies, reviews and life stories.  Follow our journey on becoming a family.  Mumsmusingmind.blogspot.com

mumsmusingmind
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Now I know why women go bald...

Quoting BeccaWooten: Oh I feel your pain. My kids just out grew that stage a few months ago. There were days I would just go shower to try and get a few minutes of peace. It does get better but then they come up with something new to drive you insane with. I just never gave into the crying. I would get on their level and look eye to eye and tell them as soon as they calmed down we would get what they are needing. Its still a battle some days but it does get slightly better over time.

New mommy blogger!  Recipies, reviews and life stories.  Follow our journey on becoming a family.  Mumsmusingmind.blogspot.com

christina122952
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Teach sign, she is frustrated that she can't communicate.
BeccaWooten
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Another thing I use that has probably worked the best. When a fit starts I hold their hands and firmly say "no". If the fit continues I send them up to their room. At first it was hard because I had to actually walk them up for every fit but now its amazing. Now if they are going to throw a fit they walk to their room to cry. Its not the best method I know but timeout wasn't working. For my kids this was best. They are allowed to come out of their room when they have calmed down. It took a while to get this whole concept down but like I said this has worked amazing for me.

Quoting mumsmusingmind:

Now I know why women go bald...

Quoting BeccaWooten: Oh I feel your pain. My kids just out grew that stage a few months ago. There were days I would just go shower to try and get a few minutes of peace. It does get better but then they come up with something new to drive you insane with.

I just never gave into the crying. I would get on their level and look eye to eye and tell them as soon as they calmed down we would get what they are needing. Its still a battle some days but it does get slightly better over time.

facethetruth2b
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Ever think she may be gassy ? Or have acid reflux perhaps ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)